Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

The Internal Water Pump ?

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Cleon V. Wells, September 14, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. KayGee

KayGee Active Member

City, State:
      Farmington, MI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '16 & '17 PIU
      If one is really concerned, they would probably be better off putting that $2560 into an extended powertrain warranty. Then they'd be covered for the potential water pump failure, potential PTU failure, and other potential powertrain related issues that may occur.

For the UOA to be truly effective, you would need to do it more frequently than every oil change at some point. Perhaps every oil change until about 60-75K miles and then more frequently from there through the 100-125K mile mark until the water pump fails or is replaced before it fails. No guarantees though as it could let go while you are waiting on results from your last test.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ERUSH97XLT

ERUSH97XLT Active Member

City, State:
      Omaha, NE
      01 XLT, 03 XLT, 13 XLT
      Don't disagree. I have Ford PremiumCARE on my '13, and I also had it on my Ranger. It pays for itself on the first major failure, e.g., PTU, water pump, etc. It paid for itself on my ranger as I had a water pump failure as well as some premature axle seal failures. Worth considering and renewing.

4. aypanthony

aypanthony New Member

2013 Explorer XLT
      If your engine was destroyed after a water pump failure, would they really replace the engine through the warranty?

I figure Ford would blame you for not knowing the water pump failed and destroying the engine....denying the claim.

5. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Buffalo, NY
      '17 Explorer Limited 4WD
      ^ I don't think we've seen issues with that, honestly. The water pump is a lifetime part (heh), if it causes a chain reaction then the downstream components are covered in Ford ESP. There's actually a contract clause that covers this.

Now, if you don't change your oil period and it sludges up from neglect and destroys the engine, you bet that warranty won't pay off.