EliteConcept

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
LaPorte, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Civic LX
i went to a strictly 4x4 repair shop yesterday
and after tellin him that i get some humming from the passenger wheel occasionally, and sometimes when i drive it it seems like the 4x4 engages by itself he said that i'd need new U-Joints, and maybe new hubs.

I actually want maunal hubs so that part is cool with me, the auto ones are probably shot anyways.

I was quoted $433 for 2 new U-joints, and set of manual hubs installed. Which, if it fixes the problems i have, thats fine.
Does that sound like a average price?

One other shop wiggled the wheels and said it was the wheel bearings and said while they were in there might as well put new U-joints on it, Which i didn't tell them but the wheel bearings are only a year old..they wanted 300 plus parts to put in new wheel bearings and new u joints...

but i figure the 4x4 shop will have to go past the wheel bearings to install the U-joints, and i figure if they see anything noticably wrong with the wheel bearings, they wouldn't pass a chance to let me know and make more money, hehehe i know its wrong but its true.

i dunno let me know what you guys think about the price they quoted me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if the prices are right for the u-joints, but don't let 'em charge you anything for installing the hubs. You can put those on yourself in about an hour, and it's not too hard. good luck...

Elite

You can do all this work yourself its not hard it just takes a little time.And like Two Tone said you can do the hubs yourself for next to nothing

I agree, the Hubs are very easy to install. The u-joints are a little harder but you can do it with a few simple tools that you have in your garage.

If you pay to have it done that price sounds about right for this area (St. Charles MO);)

Do this yourself. For $450 you can do:

Brake pads: $40
Wheel bearings and grease seals: $50-60
Warn manual hubs $150
Spindle nut kit: $35
Tie rod ends, radius arm bushings, etc...

$450 goes along way if you do the work yourself........

The U joints I doubt are shot unless the 4x4 was used A LOT. I would rather install new balljoints, or you can do both now.

Also a 92 may need new spindles.

Oh and as for your whirring noise, either shot auto hub (trash em) or a wheel bearing or both.

The Spindle nuts you can get at a junk yard off a D35 TTB or a D44 with manual hubs for el cheapo

Use Timken bearings and Moog ball joints (greaseable)
Also take alook at your tie rods ends.......

How many miles you have onthe truck?

my X has 123,500 miles on it,
also i might add that the U-joints i am probably gettin installed are greasable ones...
I agree guys
i would do the work myself
but this job proves just a little to large for me and dad who know next to nothing about 4x4 systems. and besides he works 2 jobs and i work and go to school, so even finding a whole day we can devote to fixing these problems would be hard to do.....this way i can just take it drop it off and continue my day doing what ever i was going todo

I really appreciate you guys lookin out for my good. thats cool.....but i don't think i could tackle this size of job myself, i know its possible, but i don't think its within my ability. thats what is cool about this board and everyone who posts on it.....always looking out for one another...

Would it be any cheaper for them to do the Ujoints and not the hubs, then you do the hubs? Probably not.....but if it is that might be worth it.

elite

If I was closer I would come up and help you.I replaced the u-joints on my 92 when it had 90000 on her and they were completley trashed they had no needle bearings left in the cups and a few of the cups were broke too:(

U joints = PROBABLY FINE, meaning thats not your problem.
You see the U joints dont even turn unless a hub is locked, even if your hub was locked the U joitns will be okay for a long long time, the things that need attention are the wheel bearings and most likely ball joints, in addition to manual hubs. You said it wa making noise while driving, I seriously doubt the noise is from the U joints. wheel bearings and hubs are a must to have done, the U joints and ball joints can wait, but if you have the $$$ do them at the same time since you (they) will already have teh axle dropped, make sense?

$430 is to much in other words....for U joints & hubs

Have the bearings replaced with Timken

But if you are going to pay somebody to do the balljoints why not pay a little extra and get the u-joints done too.I say if the balljoints are bad have them do the balljoints and the u-joints and the wheel bearings and we will talk you through the hubs.Have you thought about just getting some different auto's to check if thats the problem?Do you off road alot?

I just had my wheel bearings fixed yesterday. They were shot! The humming sound is gone and my headaches are diminished too. Well...at least for a little while, ball joints are creaping up on me fast...

i dont wanna sound like a ***** and contradict everyone that said your u-joints are/should be fine but if it is a 92 xlt like my own and it has close to 125k or more your should be close to needing the u-joints changed which should only run ya bout 30$ for parts after market manual hubs shouldnt be more than 80$ so unless the 4x4 shop you were planning on going to charges 300 bucks for repairs of that sort your gonna get ripped a new one because i know right now flat rate isnt even that high

U-joints

I just did mine, The stock ones needed to be greesed but, didnt have a nipple. It took me about 30 minutes for the back drive line (2 joints) and about 2 for the front which, is a velocity shaft, and have to be taken appart and assembled in a sequence. ANywho all i needed was a vice sledge hammer, pliers, and pipe about half and inch wide.

Here i got price quotes on the instalation for u joints.
$75 for front which in my opinion is worth it. and $70 for the rear.

We are talking about the 3 u joints in the front TTB, not the driveshafts..........

i don't offroad alot
but i would just rather replace the auto hubs now since winter is coming, and with everyone talking about how bad autos suck i figure i just put them on now, i think one is shot, i am going out later to find out,

last week it was making a whurrling noise when i was going down the highway, i stopped , put it in 4wheeldrive and then went the rest of the way *3 miles* and it didn't make the sound anymore.....so i think the hub has something to do with it.....

anyways....
everyones X's will wear at different rates.....i'm just trying to get different oppions

thanks guys
i really appericate everyones help!!!!

Back