The official rollpan construction page | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The official rollpan construction page

you make sen say proud, oh dark flower. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That will look killer painted black! Do the licence plate bolts thread directly into the fiberglass?

The bolts go thru the fiberglass and a nut goes on the back.

Is it in the body shop yet for painting?

No I have to set up an appointment on Monday.

I just got back from a body shop that I chose to do the paint work. I am appalled...

This shop is near my house, so I went in today to get an estimate on the paint work. Some foreign guy meets me as I get out of my truck, and I tell him that I have a rollpan and some quarter panel pieces that I need painted. He had no idea what a rollpan was, and I showed him the pieces. I told him that they needed some light body work, and he basically went on to barade me about the condition of the pieces, he was talking down to me like I was some 8 year old. When people do that, I get pissed. He then followed that up with 1939293 questions about how the rollpan mounts, etc. I told him over and over again that I had been working on this for over two months and that I had everything worked out. Then he basically insulted me by asking if I went over it with sandpaper. WTF, OF COURSE I WENT OVER IT WITH SANDPAPER! He was convinced that all I did was use Bondo to fill in everything, which COULDN'T BE FARTHER FROM THE TRUTH. There isn't a single once of body filler in that entire rollpan. I left that part to the BODY SHOP, because that's what their job is, to do BODY WORK.

After 10 minutes of bull***, I grabbed my pan and told the ***hole that he wouldn't be in business very long if he didn't take his customers seriously. I could've punched the guy right then and there.

:fire:

wow.. that really sucks. the guy i go to treats me like a million bucks. some people just need to take customer relations 101. hope things work out.

screw 'em. i dont handle being "talked down to" very well. someone does that to me and its time to leave before events unfold that lead to jailtime.

I get talked down to all the time because I'm a little small and I don't look like I'm 18. SCREW EM ALL though because my local sport truck shop recommended a body shop that would do the work the right way. I will visit that shop tomorrow and hopefully I'll have a better experience there.

Sorry to hear about that expericence Hartman. Screw that shop. Just thow a Monatok ****tail in their shop and watch it explode! LOL, J/K

I get talked down to a lot too. I dont look anywhere near 21. I get pissed and usually give people a piece of my mind. Most of the time its the idiots that do that so when I talk back to them they sorta dont realize what just happened. It's kinda funny.

Hope you find a place that treats you better and takes their job seriously.

Don't let that shop bother you too much just move on to the next one, Hartman.

In my experience, the more they respect you ('coz you're well spoken, well mannered, well dressed, whatever) the more they tend to overcharge you because they think you got plenty of disposable cash in hand. I would normally approach them in a friendly way like we've been hangin' out from before. We get into comfortable conversation and talk about what I came there for. From there, they give me no BS and get the best price.

Don't get me wrong, I get my share of ***holes. They're just too many of them around.

i guess being 6'2 and 225 is a good thing for me

I have much better news today. I went to a shop that was recommmended to me by a custom truck shop, and the guy there was completely different than the one I had an encounter with yesterday. This guy actually treated me like a paying customer. He told me that the body work that my rollpan needed was no problem. We talked for about 10 minutes about the construction of the rollpan. He said the price for everything would be about $150, which I thought was a very good price. I was expecting it to be more like $250-300.

It will be done on Monday or Tuesday, and I'll post the FINISHED pics at that time. :D

AWESOME, I can't wait to see it. When you get it back just run by that other body shop and show that guy that he could have made some money off of you and then do a burnout in their parking lot :D . Well maybe not the burnout but I'd show them how good it looks and make him feel like a jackass.

EDIT: Also I think it would be wise to make a model, if not to sell it then to have one for yourself in case you get rearended. I'm not worried about your driving, just everyone elses and that would be a shame if some dumbass rearended you then you're out all that hard work! Just a suggestion.

The minute that first dumbass appeared to not know what a rollpan was being a bodyshop owner, I woulda hit the door! :rolleyes: Good luck with the new guy Hartman!

Originally posted by TravisC
Also I think it would be wise to make a model, if not to sell it then to have one for yourself in case you get rearended. I'm not worried about your driving, just everyone elses and that would be a shame if some dumbass rearended you then you're out all that hard work!

You made a good point but lets not get crazy. ;) I cringed at the thought of it and it's not even mine. :eek:

Originally posted by X-factor
You made a good point but lets not get crazy. ;) I cringed at the thought of it and it's not even mine. :eek:
Yeah I do but I don't trust other people's driving. I know I'm a good driver but maybe the 90 year old woman behind me isn't.:p

Originally posted by TravisC
Also I think it would be wise to make a model, if not to sell it then to have one for yourself in case you get rearended. I'm not worried about your driving, just everyone elses and that would be a shame if some dumbass rearended you then you're out all that hard work! Just a suggestion.

I worry about being hit high by like an 18 wheeler or some big truck and have my Saleen Wing reuined. :eek: Also worry about my STREET emblem reuined. But I can make another one of those. The Wing and Rollpan couldn't be replaced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your gonna have Hartman driving scared, watching in his rearview mirror every time he stops.

God help the person who rear ends him.:roll: :shoot:

Back