The old Studder and shudder Ford Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The old Studder and shudder Ford Problem

Shanerouleau

Reaction score
City, State
Sault Ste. Marie Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XL
ok so where do i start. lets see its a 1998 4 door 4x4 v6 4.0 ohv motor. has only 108,000 kilometeres and runs like ****. was studder and shuddering a few months back. replaced all plugs with bosch platniums and everyhting was good. few days ago before a 2000 kilometre trip it starts to act up again. didnt have time to fix it so i drove it anyways. got about 500 km into the trip (shaking and studdering the whole way) and my check engine light comes on. i decided to finish my trip. when i got there i disconnected the battery CEL went off. on the way home it came back on after about 400 to 500 km's. so i cleaned the MAF and IAC. all plugs are tight and cant see any cracks or arcing in the wires? bought a new fuel filter but cant even find it even though i know its in the frame rail. which seems real tight since my tank is right next to it. what else could this be? i have a pretty much near dead battery (something like 10 or 12 volts when hooked up to my charger) and ive been told this could solve my problem? any ideas or advice on anything would be awesome. thanks guys.

OHV runs like a top if u take care of it. Do a proper tune up. Replace the IAC and MAF cleaning will help if they're dirty but not if they're busted. Dont use Bosch it's junk use Motorcraft or Autolite. Replace the wires too even if u cant see arcing. Replace the battery and clean the terminals. Fuel filter is on the inside frame rail under the drivers seat. The OHV can accumulate a lot of carbon so be generous with the seafoam treatments.

thanks for the advice on everything. gonna take a look for that filter under the seat when i get home. whats seafoam though? and how do i use it. i have heard reference to it before but not what it does and where to use it.

Back