• Register Today It's free!

The Quest for 200k

Explorer Buff

Reaction score
City, State
Middleford, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT 4.0
I bought my 2001 4.0 Explorer XLT in 2007 with 54 thousand miles on it. Currently I have 158k and I'm trying to make it last till at least 200k. I'm wondering at about this time what I should be looking into getting done in order to make it last as long as possible. Here's a list of what has been done semi-recently.

*8k-10k mile oil changes with full synthetic and an xtended guard oil filter
*K&N Air Filter at 60k miles (should I get the oil kit for it as it has been almost 100k since changing?)
*Thermostat at 120k
*Blend Door at 75k
*Spark Plugs and Wires at 125k
*Front Wheel Hubs about a thousand miles ago
*Transmission fluid changed around 100k
*Coolant Flushed and changed periodically
*Brakes (Calipers, Pads and Rotors) periodically
*Tires rotated and changed periodically

What other things should I be looking into for extending the life of the truck? I love it, it drives wonderfully and I drive it A LOT (as you can see). I rarely tow with it outside of my 14" jon boat (which you can't even tell is on there) and I didn't tow with it until about 50k miles ago.
How about differential or transfer case fluid? They've never been changed as far as I know.
Any other suggestions? Thanks!:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep doing what your doing, it's working good so far.
Not sure about the diff, you've got some miles on it, could open up a can of worms if you change the oil. Have you checked the level?
I'm no longer a fan of K&N filters, you should have been cleaning it regularly.

Do you have the cam chain tensioners done? That would be #1. 200k isn't too much of a workout for these rigs, if the engine and trans are good, it'll roll that no problem.

Keep doing what your doing, it's working good so far.
Not sure about the diff, you've got some miles on it, could open up a can of worms if you change the oil. Have you checked the level?
I'm no longer a fan of K&N filters, you should have been cleaning it regularly.

I have not checked the level, and I'm not really sure of how to do that either. A friend of mine just had his rear lock up on him at 35mph which is why I'm thinking about that specifically.

As for the K&N I was going off of their recommendations of no change for 100k then the oiling kit.

Do you have the cam chain tensioners done? That would be #1. 200k isn't too much of a workout for these rigs, if the engine and trans are good, it'll roll that no problem.

Wasn't the cam tensioner part of the Ford Recall 00M12? If so I wouldn't know if it was ever fixed as that was way before I bought it, but I would assume it would have been. Any way to check if it was fixed during the recall?

*8k-10k mile oil changes with full synthetic and an xtended guard oil filter

Your list is good! The oil changes are the only thing I'd think about scaling back.

Lots of cars these days can do 8k or 10k on synthetic oil, BUT with all of the timing chain / guide / cassette / tensioner problems with the SOHC engine, I wouldn't push it, especially if you're still on your original set of timing components.

Oh and I also drilled out the rear window glass hinges so they would stop pulling themselves out periodically and replaced them with just a standard bolt/nut system that has worked for about a year now (which was much better than the standard over engineered way was working).

I would change the transmission fluid and filter again. I do this every 30k-40k. My old '94 Explorer had 50k miles when I bought it. Regular oil and transmission service and other maintenance kept it running great until I sold it with 200k miles on it.

Back