the return | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

the return

If my girl had a pushup bra, I wouldn't be able to see her face;)

Get those pictures loaded up!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ditto! :biggthump

Im working on the write up for the front at the moment, i should have it posted with a couple good pictures tomorrow!

Sorry about the lag, work had me tied up on the north slope for the last little bit. I'm crawling under her tomorrow to check my torques, and the new end link bushings. I will snap some nice pics of the set up while I'm at it. The drop and sway bars made a night and day difference in the way my explorer drives. It's not quite a sports car, but its so close it scares me. I put a new bbk 78mm throttle body and plenum combo on, and will be doing new valve covers this weekend, all to ensure I have no vacuum leaks. Also dual air oil filters on the pcv system. Other plans include a custom x piped dual exhaust system with srt 8 style exits, a bbk billet fuel rail, a custom 80mm plastic intake pipe. And drilled and slotted rotors all the way around. I will be doing trick flow cylender heads and stage two cams before the year is out too lol. Anyways, pics tomorrow!! Promise!!!

So, im looking to make it streetable here, and i have noticed that the 4.6l explorer really lacks power in the low RPM, and i am wondering if stage 2 cams is only going to make that worse, even with the higher compression from the trick flow heads. Should i be looking at a 5.4 swap to solve the low end torque problem? or do you think a stroked 4.6 with higher compression, cams, and light boost from a turbo will take care of that issue?

So, im looking to make it streetable here, and i have noticed that the 4.6l explorer really lacks power in the low RPM, and i am wondering if stage 2 cams is only going to make that worse, even with the higher compression from the trick flow heads. Should i be looking at a 5.4 swap to solve the low end torque problem? or do you think a stroked 4.6 with higher compression, cams, and light boost from a turbo will take care of that issue?

I believe that stage 2 cams will make the lowend power worse because they usually shift the power higher in RPM range and the lower end power suffers. Either a set of customs cams, higher stall, or some sort of forced induction can help combat that:D

What are your power goals with your Explorer? Rocket5979 would be someone worth talking to because he knows a lot about these motors and how to make a 3rd gen Explorer fast. He could tell you what's worth doing, not worth doing because he's been there. Mounty03 is another guy that is making some serious power and has recently done some cool stuff. Hopefully he'll start a new thread and give some updates.

I'm aiming for 400 to 500 at the wheels, that's street-able, and strong enough to stay that way for years. I have some good pics of the work I did and how the truck is sitting, and as soon as I can get to a computer I will get them posted.

Motor swap from an 03-04 Mustang Cobra! It's a 4.6 :D

You could also get the bottom end of a 96-98 cobra with the Teksid block and forged bottom end. With ported and polished heads and exhaust, you will be by quick. Not sure about 400 to the wheels NA but pretty fun.

If you want to keep your current motor you could Procharge it. As with all builds it depends on your budget

Our motors can handle up ~400hp before you really need to get concerend. If you did the TF heads/cams and threw a blower on top pushing 8-10lbs, it would make for a fun ride:D That is also the breaking point for our transmissions if I remember correctly...

One thing you haven't mentioned is what struts you were getting? KYB's or something else? I'm very tempted to order the Monroe Reflex one's off Amazon because my ride is terrible. Lastly, where are the pictures..........;)

Bump...

How's everything going? I finally ordered new struts and ball joints for mine. I'll revive one of my old threads with pictures after I drop it a hair. Plan is to cut about one coil off the front and 1.5 coils off the rear.

Again i apoligize about falling off the face of the earth, not two days after i got her lowered and had the alignment done i was hit with a blown solenoid pack in the transmission, and while invesigating her i found that one of the front seals is leaking pretty bad..needless to say i was less than pleased and i went into a mechanicly induced rage.. and for two weeks she sat in jack stands in my driveway before i had the nerve to even figure out what went wrong lol. Im going to start off by just replacing the solenoid pack and putting fresh fluid into her (a $500 repair). but come october im going to be beefing my trans up and doing a rebuild with the level 10 kit. For the moment more power adders are out of the question. But once again i am leaning towards a built 5.4L swap with tf heads and light boost from a turbo. Should provide pleanty of low end torque, and will breath really well with just a set of stage 1 high lift cams. when i get off tonight having recovered from my rage i will make every effort to upload some pics off of my camera for you guys.

Limited i would advise against cutting the springs! they appear to be progressive rate all around the truck. The ride quality with the KYB's and the new springs is deffinately more firm, but it is far from harsh (minus speed bumbs, those seem to work really well now ^_^). I got my springs for like 65 a tire man, i would take the extra pay period to save up and do it right man!

Zero-The ride is currently so bad, I can't see how it would get any worse if I cut the springs? Your point has been taken, but I'm that guy who never listens:D Hopefully everything will be here soon and I'll have it on within the next two weeks.

Now where are your pictures???

Long over due but here, Pictures of her sitting pretty on the ground with some beautiful back drops will have to wait, as i have the transmission ripped out of her right now. TCI solenoids, input shaft, large capacity fluid pan, TCI 2500 stall power adder torque converter, and a full rebuild will be going down as soon as Jegs get my goodies here. I have a few more good pictures, and i will go ahead and post those when i get home later tonight. patience will be rewarded!!

Eibach Sway bars, Custom modified Moog endlinks, And GF springs.
464456_403284629711617_1654841864_o.jpg

The BBK 78mm throttle body PL combo that replaced my GMS + BBK combo. Ive also replaced all black vacume lines with a nice blue version that makes the engine bay speak!
472162_402267939813286_1930753157_o.jpg

470588_430135197026560_198964229_o.jpg

Heres the transmission + T-case.. truck is getting a heart transplant, new 2500 stall converter, a hardened input shaft, High performance pump, Valve body correction package + shift kit, and high performance servos. This along side a full rebuild.

Next up on the chopping block is going to be rebuilding the rear end. Im going to put in a Ford racing Torsen T2- FR-500 diff, and a new set of ford racing 3.73 gears...should be done around mid october. Some time next year i will be doing trick flow heads and high lift stage 1 comp cams

Geeze, about time!!!

When you get the transmission back in, measure how far off the ground the front fender well is. I believe you have stock sized tires, so our measurements should be close. I'm going to bring the front down a hair more on mine and then attack the rear.

Fyi I have a deep pan installed pa27455 kt and it will not clear the exhaust... So you know...5r55s (just noticed the V8)
I had to raise the transmission mount one inch for clearance...Will be doing a writeup soon explaining it all...
Don't think it'll work without my body lift...

I'll be tossing mt 3.73's soon....4.56 baby!

thanks for the info! I measured and it looked kind of close, worst case is this is going to be the start of my custom x-piped true dual exhaust :p. I thought i had enough clearance though. i will deffinately keep you all informed! Limited my truck is sitting on the ground at the moment and i will tape it out when i get home!

So, first things first. The truck is sitting on 32 inches all the way around from ground to the highest point of the plastic trim. I have the transmission in the shop now getting tooled on, and I will know Monday how that is going. My 2500 stall from tci will be in on the 12th, so that following weekend she will be driving again. A custom y pipe will be needed to fit the new pan. I was going to do. The dual exhaust set up at this time, but with a price tag of 1650 bucks for what I want, i will pass till next year. I'm getting the body work redone instead lol.

Back