1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

The Shopping Carts Front and Rear Bumpers

Discussion in 'Offroad Fabrication - Bumpers, Sliders, Cages etc.' started by taxx, December 13, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. taxx

taxx Make em say Ugh

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      73 EB
      Alright so I promised this information a while ago and the explorer is gone and I haven't been able to find the pics. I can get more on jan 15th when we take it out, but what I have here will have to do for now....

FRONT
      Front is a TJM winch bumper (forget the exact model number) purchased from their Blem Sale for a 93 - 96 ranger. Body lines match up, this is why I got this bumper, but the frames dont. There are several ways you could resolve this, you could make your own brackets or modify theirs. I chose the easiest way, yet more permanent, out. I cut the stock brackets off the frame and trimmed the frame back abit as I mock fit the bumper on jack stands and 2x4s. Once I had it where I wanted the frame as a little too wide for the ranger mounts so I cut a side off the frame, took the ranger mounts and welded them in as the new side, thus making the mounts a permanent part of my frame. The rest was just mounting it.

Pics: (best I have of it in mounted form)

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

REAR
      Not quite as straightforward as the front. it went through 3 stages and I will give the details on the final stage.
      It all started from this goup buy:
      http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47313&highlight=KMA+bumper

Its base was a KMA bumper. The price was right for what I needed then and I knew I could improve on it, but I wasn't at a point in my fabrication to start from scratch then. To do it all over I would not order from them, I would researchand either make my own or have one made locally. If you are into it, you can make your own of much better quallity for less money than ANYONE out there.

The base:(well close)

[​IMG]

First step was to rebuild the carier to fit with my rear window washer (I notched it at an angle and added reinforcement)

[​IMG]

next step was to get rid of the god awfull gap you can see in the first pic. I used 1/16" plate steel to do that and welded it up.

The first pic is after some modification, the sides that were too long and stuck out as grappling hooks where cut down and replaced. Later to be seen in the final product this year as I cut the rear quater panels and replaced with bumper:
      (not the best pic but you get the idea)
      [​IMG]
      this was down with steel plate that I made my own steel tubing out of so I could have hte shape i wanted to contour the body. These are hooked to the bumper and tied directly to the frame. The entire bumper is welded to the frame in 5 spots.

Next step this year was to rebuild the tire carier. KMA used a bolt as the hinge, bad idea after a winter here in the midwest. I had to cut that off, but did it when i built the new sides. I got a great hinge from a jeeper here in town. It is the highest quality that I could find of all of them I have seen out there and it was the best price. It is machined, greaseable, tension is adjustable and uses different grades of metal to prevent rusting together.

Enough of that. just look at the pics. I'll try and find the detail ones I have somewhere and post them.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

you can find more pics with the bumpers here:
      http://www.haughs.net/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=97-Sploder

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Premier

Premier Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Utah
      96 sport
      Heath has that exact bumper. I remember seeing it when I visited. They are really nice.

4. sapogmxr

sapogmxr !!Drink Beer in Jersey!!

City, State:
      Edison, NJ
      '97 Explorer XLT
      very nice looking truck

5. mitch

mitch Active Member

City, State:
      high point, NC (home) charlotte, NC (school)
      94 limited
      that is some nice work on those bumpers, wish i could have a set

6. Mcane6

Mcane6 Active Member

City, State:
      Carrollton, GA
      '96 sport 4x4
      Do u have some layout plans for those bumpers?
      That is exactly wut im trying to build

7. taxx

taxx Make em say Ugh

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      73 EB
      No I am not the tyoe to draw anything up cept on the work bench in pencil. Its all just get a picture in my head make some measurements and start from the center out. The front is an off the shelf bumper. The rear is described above. I should have made plans of the final version of it and built some more ;)

8. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      1998 Ford Explorer
    9. Premier

Premier Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Utah
      96 sport
      those arent the same bumpers.

nick, heath has the same rear bumper as tax did, so look through some of his pics. not sure about the front.