The SoCal Crew | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The SoCal Crew

Felix said:
Did you check your oil? From the look of that #3 cylinder your rings are probly shot and its making your oil get that nasty dark color soon after you change your oil. Of course the only way to check your if rings are holding good compression is to have the heads installed. :(
I know I know. . I should have done a compression test before I started ripping it apart. :banghead: I was just expecting the problem to be blatantly obvious with how bad it was running. All fluids checked out OK before ripping apart. Oil is dirty, but has ~9k miles on it. (I've been changing oil every 9k and filter every 3k with Mobil 1 )

I'm guessing Cyl 3 has been that way for 30k miles now, ever since This Happened. I thought it was cyl 2 that had the busted plug, but I don't know how else to explain #3.

Anyway, looking on the bright side, look what I got today :)

Found it in Fontana. Its COMPLETE (well, except for Cyl 6's plug wire :confused: ). $700 delivered. That was a steal compared to anywhere else in SoCal, so I was a little hesitant at first, but this thing looks in great shape.
new_block.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how many miles on it? :rolleyes:

Damn that looks better than some of the SOHC motors I have seen in 2003 trucks. You got a very good deal on it also.

When you started taking your motor apart did you notice any carbon or hot spots where the head and block come together? If you find any of these places that look similar to an old spark plug (hot cooked on carbon) you have found a crack in your head gasket. But like you said earlier, oh well, just speeds up the process of getting the fun stuff put in.

I found a place up here to centerline my crank, magnaflux and hot wash the block, hone the cylinders and check for the decks to make sure they are square and flat for $100. I think that my extra 4.0L block is going to get dropped in a few days. :) If you lived closer to the desert I would put you in contact with this guy, he builds all the local street rod motors in this area.

Stic-o said:
That information was "not available". Its from a '99 but this thing is spotless. I may actually attempt to keep my engine bay clean with this thing in there. :D
Its got Bosch Platinum plugs in it and they look good. TB has some buildup on it, and going by that alone I'd say its got less than 90k mi on it, and thats good enough for me. :p

Stic-o said:
The answer is as of 01/11/2005 it had 113,777. At that time it was sold at an auction. It was always registered as a commercial lease vehicle, and had 3 owners. Don't you love Carfax? :)

So your just going to throw this one in as is to get it back up and running right? Then will try to rebuild the old motor up to ......well zoom zoom I guess :D

Stic-o said:
So your just going to throw this one in as is to get it back up and running right? Then will try to rebuild the old motor up to ......well zoom zoom I guess :D
Yup, thats the plan. I want to finish my front bumper and get my cage in before any money can go into the engine buildup though, so It'll be a few months.

Hopefully a stock 4.0 that actually runs will be enough of a performance improvement to hold me over till then. :p

Yeah that dam money thing always gets in the way :mad:

I want to get my bumpers and sliders done, but I also want to get my locker. :rolleyes: Good news is I have a bonus and a raise coming at work! :D

srry this is a lil off topic but i couldnt find where to ask does the 88 bronco 2 have shoulder seat belts in the back?

nope they are lap belts in the back of the 88 B2

John and I decided that between my large truck and my small garage a normal engine hoist probably wasn't going to cut it so we transported my rig to our shop. I got to test out my winch by pulling myself onto the trailer.

Unloading:
1-5_01.jpg

Out with the old. Check out how tall my truck is w/o all that weight in front.
1-5_06.jpg

1-5_11.jpg

In with the new
1-5_12.jpg

The motor is now bolted to the trans awaiting all the small parts. But now it is bed time :eek:

It moves under its own power again :) . . . but its still got the hiccup under acceleration. :banghead: Otherwise it runs great. So the blame gets pointed back to the PCM where I originally put the blame.

That really blows that you still have problems after installing a different motor.
I've got a bad feeling that something is wrong internally with my motor as I still haven't tracked down what's triggering my CEL, anyways good luck with yours.

......Fudds....

I picked up a 4.0L long block pretty much complete with upper and lower intake and valve covers for $20 bucks from a guy on base. He was driving home and blew a head gasket. Started tearing it down and it looks like its in pretty good shape minus the obvious blown head gaskets.

I will post pics of the motor soon.

......Fudds......
When and where?
This weekend I may be out of town, and next weekend 5-6 is TDS. So maybe the 12th or 19th?

Stic-o, I found my T-case Skid plate, so if you want it let me know.

Jefe said:
When and where?
This weekend I may be out of town, and next weekend 5-6 is TDS. So maybe the 12th or 19th?

Stic-o, I found my T-case Skid plate, so if you want it let me know.

OOhhhh...Yes yes please! :D I have the phone for you. TDS already! Will not make it... :(

19th is best for me. 12th is sister in-laws surprise party. Now let's see how long it takes tim to post.. :p

12th is no good - going to a concert. 19th is no good - going to be in Mammoth. Maybe the 26th? Or is that Easter weekend?

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mike 92 XLT said:
12th is no good - going to a concert. 19th is no good - going to be in Mammoth. Maybe the 26th? Or is that Easter weekend?

Mike

26th is Easter :rolleyes:

Which takes us to April 2nd....which may not work sence my birthday is the 3rd and my wife will want to celabrate out Anniversary (April 5th) that weekend
:confused: This is crazy :banghead:

Back