The tire fairy visited me! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The tire fairy visited me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I had a tire blow up on me - see the 1st attached.

It's currently sitting in the driveway, with the axles in the garage for rebuild work. The front was leaking at the knuckles, and the rear has axle bearing issues.

I probably should do a rear disk brake upgrade also, but that's just piling it all on at once..

Attachments

• DSC00095.JPG
    DSC00095.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 3,847
  • DSC00096.JPG
    DSC00096.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 3,829

Is that a Firestone?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tom, was looking over your spec's again, and you might want to consider upgrading the rear axleshafts. With 32's, a transfer case re-gear and a locker in the rear, I twisted the splines about 15° on my stock Zuk axles. They never did break though.

Yea, I may just skip doing the rear bearings at the moment they are "good enough" to run. I'm thinking of buying the HD, a rear disk kit, and then doing it all at once.

Well, I tried to get some Lift Elves scheduled, but do the bad economy, they couldn't schedule me for years..

I didn't do the rear bearings, one side is definitely going bad.

Attachments

• IMG_1353.JPG
    IMG_1353.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 13,847

I know, I'm slow sometimes..

I've been suffering from a pinched nerve in the back which means I'm literally floored at times, and immobilized.

BUT, the 6.5 gears are in, twin stick shifter is bent up, installed the Mighty Kong and new transfercase mounts (solid on the drivers side, rubber on the passenger side)

Working on getting shocks setup, I found some $17 specials from Autozone that have 9 inches of travel (long enough for this!).

Hoping to head down to Truckhaven in October with it.

I still need to lengthen the drive shafts (spacers don't cut it), make rock sliders, and install some better lights (H4 headlights with bulbs, plus the Kragen HID 4" offroad lights, and plus some rock lights..)

got the drive shafts resized, and played a little to see how the shocks work..

I tried to get farther up the wall, but no front locker is kinda limiting, plus I didn't air down the tires..

Attachments

• IMG_1360.JPG
    IMG_1360.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 3,120
  • IMG_1361.JPG
    IMG_1361.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 3,079

Look at all that sheet metal! Looking good, TD. New bumper looks great. :cool:

NOW the neighbors are going to complain, their wall can't take much more of that LOL.

Awesome build man!

That's my wall, but yes, it can't take much more of that.. It does need some more work in that area.

Well, this project took a nose dive after I broke my right collarbone..

I'm finally getting back at it. Warm weather also helps!

I bought a 48" highlift jack, along with a smittybilt XRC-8 winch w/synthetic line..

57_1.jpg

Also found and bought a smittybilt winch recovery kit:

smt-2726_w.jpg

Picked up a used Shrockworks gas tank skid plate, along with a new Trailtough belly plate, and installed everything.. I also finally finished up the twinstick install, I never got a chance to install the top tcase seal, and then the boot for the cab until now.

Attachments

• 100_0044.JPG
    100_0044.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 2,406
  • 100_0041.JPG
    100_0041.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 2,085
  • 100_0039.JPG
    100_0039.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 2,123
  • 100_0038.JPG
    100_0038.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 2,122

What's your source for the xrc-8 with the syn line? Under $400? Lookin' good! :cool:

Best price is in the $450 range, and I got that plus a cover at the 4wheel parts TruckFest in San Mateo last month..

there's a guy in Hayward that advertises on Craigslists all the time for $449..

The recovery kit is coming from SummitRacing, someday.. They had the best price, but they don't stock it..

That belly skid is Sweet!

Back