Thermometer on Climate Control Panel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thermometer on Climate Control Panel

Oliner

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer
First and foremost thanks to everyone for your contributions to this site. It's saved me a lot of money in repairs and time in diagnostics.

Was wondering if anyone could give some help with this question. I have a 2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, with the standard radio and climate control panels, with a 4.7L V8 under the hood.

The exterior temperature read out on the climate control panel always gives the wrong temperature - usually about 15 degrees hotter than what it actually is. This makes for some really cold Canadian mornings.

Was wondering if anyone knows what might be causing this?

If it helps, the truck had a frontal collision on it a few years ago where almost everything under the hood front of the engine was replaced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The collision is what caused it.
The truck has a little temperature sensor behind the grill that, as it's name states, detects the temperature.

Sounds like they used the wrong sensor when replacing the old one.

Side note, you posted in the wrong forum so I'll get a mod to move this for you.
I'm not exactly sure where that sensor is on your 2008.

Thank you very much for the help. Does anyone know where to find it?

It is called a Ambient Air Temperature Sensor. It sound be mounted up front behind the Grille on the header panel. A replacement part can be had from Rock Auto or even a local auto parts place like Auto zone, Advance auto or Napa.

Make sure its not just loose and making contact with the metal frame or an engine component before you replace it. Mine came loose and started reading 150*F because it was touching part of the frame. A clip is way cheaper than a new sensor.

Back