Thermostat Housing Replacement

X~FACTOR

Name is Ray
Reaction score
City, State
Valley Stream, Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
Do I need to remove the intake manifold to replace the Thermostat Housing below? Or am I good with just removing the throttle body?

(ignore the arrows - google image)
2011-12-10_031703_tstat.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was able to replace mine by just removing the air intake tube. And using swivel sockets with an extension.

You can do it with only removing the intake. Might have to remove the throttle body as well, don't remember. But it's pretty easy to get to

I know ebay sells the upper portion in metal. Do you know if anyone else sells these with everything metal?

Hello. I recently changed the tstat housing on my 01' Ranger 4.0 sohc and had a few questions about the coolant temp sensor since im getting a bad reading. My truck has a build date of 9/00 and my factory housing uses the push-in, clip lock sensors but I opted for the screw-on version like the one pictured above as everything looked the same and I figured the screw-on type was less prone to leaking fluid since it seemed as mine was seeping coolant thru 1 of the sensors. The issue im having now is that the Coolant Temp on the gauge reads at half way when the car is off or cold and goes from there. Basically it goes up 1/4 more from there at normal operating temp reading approximately 3/4 on the cluster gauge. Has anyone else had this issue and do you guys think the voltage/resistance, etc is different on the screw-on type sensor from the push-in sensor that came from factory? My old sensor read at the C when Cold or truck off and went up approximately 1/4 of the way once car was at normal operating temp n 1/2 way with a/c ON or whenever I pull my 12x6 trailer for work. I will add that I live in Miami,FL where its 90-100 degrees any given day but I had never had issues with my temp gauge on my cluster until now that I replaced my tstat housing and used a BWD coolant temp sensor from Advance AP. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

^^^I know I wrote a lot but i'm trying to be as detailed as possible with the issue im having. Thanks for understanding.

I have also thoroughly checked for any other leaks in the cooling system and everything is ok and im not leaking coolant from anywhere. I also burped the cooling system and ran the Heater at full blast to make sure the whole system was full of coolant. I just don't feel comfortable with seeing my gauge reading @3/4 of the way from H/overheating and im considering going back to the push-in type sensors if this is the problem since I never had that issue before with my gauge.

Threaded sensor housings are the older design and known to break or leak when loosened.
Only parts needed for repair are a Motorcraft RH144 housing, lower RG614 seal, and two #8
o-rings if reusing your ECT sensor and gauge sender. Regarding your inaccurate temp gauge, can only believe the sensors have different values. Return to OEM and be done with it. JMO

4.0 SOHC plastic thermostat housing
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239493

coolant temp sensor leaking. can i replace the 0-ring?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324170

How To Replace the Upper and Lower Thermostat Housing on a Ford 4.0L V6 SOHC Engine
http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/

^^^Thanks for your help and feedback. I did read through some of the threads you provided and seems no one else has had issues with ECT sensor reading differently but I also think the new sensor from Advance AP is the issue since its aftermarket and probably has a different resistance or signal value, etc. I will probably just purchase a new lower housing with PUSH-IN style sensors just as what came factory with my truck and reuse factory sensors with new O-rings since they tend to leak. I also reused my factory upper cap where the big coolant hose goes since the new one I ordered has like a 45 degree angle causing it to interfere with the throttle body. The factory one is pretty much straight/90 degree angle and points directly to the passenger side when viewing from the front.

Back