Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Think my tranny is dead

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by mobeious, September 29, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. mobeious

mobeious Member

City, State:
    florida
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2004 Explorer XLT V8
    Took off from a redlight today and switching from 2nd to 3rd i had a violent hard jerk/shift .. then nothing truck just revs.... pulled over to side of road and tried R D 123 and nothing in any of them truck just revs ... i assume my tranny is shot... someone said it could be my pump or something ....

Truck has been shifting rough for about 2yrs has been about the same roughness for about a year

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. mobeious

mobeious Member

City, State:
    florida
    2004 Explorer XLT V8
    trucks for sale if anyone is intrested ...

4. sethmorgan

sethmorgan Active Member

City, State:
    Hanahan, SC
    2002 XLT 4.0
    Just brainstorming here, but did you check to see if the gear shift linkage was still connected? Have you tried checking the torque on the OD and intermediate servo bands to see if the bands are broken? What else is there, valve body? Would the valve body suddenly and catastrophically fail? Probably not. Someone else can chime in if I'm off base.

5. mobeious

mobeious Member

City, State:
    florida
    2004 Explorer XLT V8
    well what would cause the shifter linkage to go ?