Thinking about buying a 1995 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking about buying a 1995 Explorer

steelynirvana

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
Found a nice 95 black 4 door XLT 250,000m on Craigslist this afternoon. Guy said other than the trans not going into and sometimes delaying going into reverse it is fine expect for a couple interior blemishes (Pw not working, seats worn)

Is there anything that I should know, i.e common issues with the 95 year? Im hoping the reverse is just a solenoid issue. Going to look at Monday, anything I should look for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the reverse delay isn't due to low fluid there is likely a rebuild in the future. There are definitely plenty of wear points and with that mileage it may be ready to go soon. Check trans fluid quality for overheating. Could be the servo bore is worn out and not putting enough pressure on the reverse band, now you have lots of heat and eventually the band breaks. Lots of possibilities.
Check out the suspension, check for torn boots, loose ball joints, and play. These trucks are hard on front end parts.

Check for any coolant leaks from the motor, and quality of the coolant. 4.0L OHVs are good motors.

95 is an OBD1 truck so no new scan tools.

Which engine?

With it being a '95, and a bad trans, I hope they are giving it away for free. Seriously. If not, run away, and keep looking.
After all I had to do to get a 95 with less then 200k in proper working order, I would never ever ever buy another 95 again. Ever.

I won't touch a '95 with 250K and a bad trans even if they gave it to me for free. It's going to be a money pit.

Back