Thinking of buying a used Explorer. What to look for?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of buying a used Explorer. What to look for??

Open the hood and look at the underside of the hood lip. Pull back the rubber grommet. Look closely all along the underside lip for any paint bubbles forming. If you see even a small one, it will only get worse and eventually creep to the top of the hood.

This to me is the most critical test as it is a common enough problem and you are looking at a new hood (present aluminum hood could be contaminated with lead particles and/or not properly anodized and/or not fully painted under the lip where water gets in) that also has to be painted to match the vehicle and that's going to be about $1,400 or more on your own.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the response TinMan!
Were any of these problems issued a recall from Ford?

Thanks for the response TinMan!
Were any of these problems issued a recall from Ford?
No recalls but there was a TSB issued on the exhaust issue although the success rate of the 'fix' was, in a word, miserable.

Peter

Hello Hawk...
I'm in a similar situation as you were back in July. As I'm thinking of making my next vehicle a late model Explorer. I assume you found an Explorer you liked and purchased. Just wondering, did you actually run into any of the "red flags" mentioned in this forum (hood paint bubbles, exhaust leaks etc?) while in the search for your Explorer? Which model did you end up buying? Any issues? Or any discoveries, good or bad, not mentioned in this forum?

Hi Atom,
I bought a 2011 Limited! :) We are very happy with it. It drives like a dream, and it feels like you have sooo much space. We were looking at the Acadia at the same time, and I am glad I bought the Explorer. No exhaust issues, no bubbling paint. The only issues I have is that the A-pillar decorative trim piece came off, and the heater is making some kind of clicking noise whenever I start it up now that its cold for about 10 seconds.

Hi Atom,
I bought a 2011 Limited! :) We are very happy with it. It drives like a dream, and it feels like you have sooo much space. We were looking at the Acadia at the same time, and I am glad I bought the Explorer. No exhaust issues, no bubbling paint. The only issues I have is that the A-pillar decorative trim piece came off, and the heater is making some kind of clicking noise whenever I start it up now that its cold for about 10 seconds.
Do you still have the 2001 Firehawk? If not, time to update your profile (2011 Limited) or add the Explorer to a signature so we know what you have when answering any concerns you may have. Thanks.

Peter

Hey Hawk... Great to hear about your 2011! And very encouraging! What was the mileage like when you bought it?

There's probably no way to look for this but my ex and a friends ex both had leaks that allowed water to drip into the third row.

A suggestion to check for leaks would be to run it through a car wash a couple of times.

Still have the 2001 Firehawk guys, thankfully. :thumbsup: The Explorer is the wife`s.

Hey Hawk... Great to hear about your 2011! And very encouraging! What was the mileage like when you bought it?

Mileage was around 65,000 if memory serves me. We don`t regret the decision at all.

new member considering a used Limited

We currently have a 2010 GMC Acadia and have had some trouble with parts failing well before they should. Therefore, we are considering the switch to a used Explorer Limited. What concerns should I have with the 2013/14 Explorers? What reliability issues are there? I have read from people that the headlights are not bright enough, should I only look for those with Xenon? Anyone have a Ford backed extended warranty and if so what is a good price for one? Thanks!

We currently have a 2010 GMC Acadia and have had some trouble with parts failing well before they should. Therefore, we are considering the switch to a used Explorer Limited. What concerns should I have with the 2013/14 Explorers? What reliability issues are there? I have read from people that the headlights are not bright enough, should I only look for those with Xenon? Anyone have a Ford backed extended warranty and if so what is a good price for one? Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I have merged your thread with this one. I also suggest that you scan the sub forums here to get an idea of what people are experiencing. As for the ESP, check out; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323161&highlight=ESP

Peter

Back