Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Thinking of changing my gearing...any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Robman, June 5, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Robman

Robman Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '00 Sport 4.0L OHV 5spd
      Donor : 1998 Explorer XLT 4dr 4.0L SOHC Automatic trans.(5r55e) 4x4. 3.73 gear ratio.

Recipient: 2000 Explorer SPORT 4.0L OHV 5-speed manual 4x4. 4.10 gear ratio.

So, the sport has become my daily driver due to the transmission in the Donor crapping out on me, I love the sport manual trans and bulletproof OHV motor. However I am really tired of revving 2000rpm @ 80 km/h. I have a couple questions as I may plan to swap out the whole rear axle and the front diff in favour of the Donor vehicles parts.

Question #1 - Are they directly interchangeable?
      Question #2- Do you suppose any adverse effects from changing the manual tranny'd 4.0L OHV sport from 4.10 to 3.73 gearing ?

I just want to be able to cruise at 90 km/h in a nice low RPM so I atleast feel like I'm not chewing through the fuel at an unreasonable rate. But I wonder if I persue this that I might render the poor OHV gutless or if I'll make the swap and wish I had never done it, as it is a fair amount of work. I would love to pick your intelligent brains on this matter. thanks - Rob.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ld50

ld50 Oh, the money you`ll blow

City, State:
      British Columbia
      93 4 dr 4x4 manual XL.
      Not sure if the parts are interchangeable but what size tires do you have on the sport? Going to a larger tire would offset the 410s a bit. I wouldn't want anything bigger than a 31 or 32 inch tire for 410s though. If you just went to 373, you would notice less oomph and/or response at low speeds but at faster speeds you could cruise at slower rpm.
      I run 513s and 35 inch tires on my first gen.

4. blueka

blueka Elite Pickler Elite Explorer

City, State:
      UK
      97 UK XL & 99 Sport V8
      my black sport 5spd had 4.10s... it was fine.. your parts are directly interchangeable... it can be done in a few hours if you know your way around a toolkit...chop chop

Si

5. Runnin'OnEmpty

Runnin'OnEmpty Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Southeast USA
      2000 Sport
      I would not do the gear swap. Stick with the 4.10s
      and go up a tire size as suggested. I have a Ranger
      with 4.10s and it cruises well with a 30 inch dia. tire.

6. MercuryMullet

MercuryMullet Active Member

City, State:
      el cajon ca
      97 mercury mountaineer
      With the info given, it appears you have a 29ish tall tire and run 2k at 50 mph (80). 3.73 will get you running 1729 at 50. a 31" tire will have you running 1778 50 (80) or 1955 at 55 (90). So changing your gears or going to 31s is the same result. I'd go 31s.

7. Robman

Robman Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario
      '00 Sport 4.0L OHV 5spd
      Thanks very much for your input guys, my tires are 245/75 R16 Goodyear Wrangler Territories. I guess I'll just stick with the 4:10s as 300rpm isn't really a huge difference.
      You made a good assumption MercuryMullet as they are 29-30ish tall tires :) Thanks for the speedy replies guys. Keep Explorin'!