Thinking of changing my gearing...any thoughts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of changing my gearing...any thoughts?

Robman

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4.0L OHV 5spd
Donor : 1998 Explorer XLT 4dr 4.0L SOHC Automatic trans.(5r55e) 4x4. 3.73 gear ratio.

Recipient: 2000 Explorer SPORT 4.0L OHV 5-speed manual 4x4. 4.10 gear ratio.

So, the sport has become my daily driver due to the transmission in the Donor crapping out on me, I love the sport manual trans and bulletproof OHV motor. However I am really tired of revving 2000rpm @ 80 km/h. I have a couple questions as I may plan to swap out the whole rear axle and the front diff in favour of the Donor vehicles parts.

Question #1 - Are they directly interchangeable?
Question #2- Do you suppose any adverse effects from changing the manual tranny'd 4.0L OHV sport from 4.10 to 3.73 gearing ?

I just want to be able to cruise at 90 km/h in a nice low RPM so I atleast feel like I'm not chewing through the fuel at an unreasonable rate. But I wonder if I persue this that I might render the poor OHV gutless or if I'll make the swap and wish I had never done it, as it is a fair amount of work. I would love to pick your intelligent brains on this matter. thanks - Rob.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if the parts are interchangeable but what size tires do you have on the sport? Going to a larger tire would offset the 410s a bit. I wouldn't want anything bigger than a 31 or 32 inch tire for 410s though. If you just went to 373, you would notice less oomph and/or response at low speeds but at faster speeds you could cruise at slower rpm.
I run 513s and 35 inch tires on my first gen.

my black sport 5spd had 4.10s... it was fine.. your parts are directly interchangeable... it can be done in a few hours if you know your way around a toolkit...chop chop

Si

I would not do the gear swap. Stick with the 4.10s
and go up a tire size as suggested. I have a Ranger
with 4.10s and it cruises well with a 30 inch dia. tire.

With the info given, it appears you have a 29ish tall tire and run 2k at 50 mph (80). 3.73 will get you running 1729 at 50. a 31" tire will have you running 1778 50 (80) or 1955 at 55 (90). So changing your gears or going to 31s is the same result. I'd go 31s.

Thanks very much for your input guys, my tires are 245/75 R16 Goodyear Wrangler Territories. I guess I'll just stick with the 4:10s as 300rpm isn't really a huge difference.
You made a good assumption MercuryMullet as they are 29-30ish tall tires :) Thanks for the speedy replies guys. Keep Explorin'!

Back