Thinking to trade my 98 Explorer for a Tundra | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking to trade my 98 Explorer for a Tundra

haktmal

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport OHV
I have a 98 Sport OHV 4.0L with 103,000 miles. The V6 just doesn't seem to kick it anymore. I've been eyeing the V8 Toyota Tundra and it seems to be more reliable and dependable (as a Toyota product). What do you guys think should I stay and spend about 3 grand on this V6 just to make it better or trade it in for a better V8 Tundra ?

Nathan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about a real fullsize truck? Like an F150 or Silverado 1500?!? :D

The Big 3s (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) are nice and cheap too. But now I'm beginning to head over to Toyota's reliability.

It is no doubt a good truck, but I think you should go american and get a ram or a ford...I think the new chevies are a little ugly but they are slowly growing on me.

If you want jap scrap... wait for the Nissan Titan. Thats gonna be a nice truck, not the 7/8's scale one like the Tundra. Also, the Titan is going to have a better truck engine, not the high revving i-Force like in the Tundra. (Who needs high RPM power in a truck? I want low end GRUNT)

So all of your recommendations are to let go the Explorer and get the Tundra/Titan ?

I think they said to look at F150's and Silverados and Rams. If you must have jap, then the Titan.

Nobody suggested Tundra, well, other than you of course.

If I were you I would pick up a new '04 F-150 with the 300HP 5.4. But if you want to go foreign, the Tundra isn't that bad but I too say you should wait for the Titan. It will probably be better than the Tundra. Whatever you choose will be right for you though.:)

I agree with the previous post that suggests you take a look at the '04 F-150. I have some friends who have late model F-150's and they both have nothing but praise for their trucks. One has a '98 with 97K and the other is a '02 with about 45K.
Both Toyota and Nissan make excellent products and I don't think you'd go wrong with either. However, I'm a Ford fan and unless I had real problems with my Ford, I'd stick with Ford. That new F-150 sure looks nice.

The OHV does not have a good kick to begin with in stock form. How about upgrading to '02 V8? You might be pleasantly surprise how much power it has. And also, you get to stay within the Explorer family. THAT alone is enough to go with the '02, yes? ;)

id go with ford also. but if you get a tundra i think you will make out good. my brother in law has one and i was watching an episode of TRUCKS and they had one on there. i was impressed for a yoda!!

In my opinion, I think the new Fords and Dodges are just as relialble if not more than the rice burners. Help to keep American jobs in America Stay with the American made products that are made by American companies.

The Tundra is a great truck if you don't plan on towing or hauling with it. One of my friends has one, and he says that the engine is smooth as silk, and is quiet at speed.

I have an old issue of Truck Trend from a few years back where they were comparing the V8 Tundra to a 5.3 Silverado. The writers all liked the Toyota better until it came time to tow or haul, where the Silverado was way faster 0-60 loaded, and showed less rear suspension sag.

Originally posted by sncwfo99
In my opinion, I think the new Fords and Dodges are just as relialble if not more than the rice burners. Help to keep American jobs in America Stay with the American made products that are made by American companies.

yeah, the thing is, Toyota, Nissan, and Honda (and others) all have American R&D centers and plants. So technically, the trucks are designed by Americans, built by Americans, and sold by Americans. Yes, their coporate HQ's are still in Japan, but the Tundra is going to show up in the NASCAR Truck Series next year.

Just about every Honda sold in America is designed in Ohio and built in Ohio/Alabama (this coming from a Honda R&D co/op)

I realize that they are built in the U.S. and that does give american people jobs, but it's still not an american company. I don't mean to stir up any hate or discontent, but I feel that we as americans should stand behind the american companies. Just getting at the fact that it is awful hard for people to get good paying jobs anymore (I know that the car manufactures do pay well) without spending a fortune in time and money in school and it's the union in me coming out. Sorry if I upset anyone and sorry for the long post.

It's been long discussed, that those manual labor, medium paying jobs that are displaced by outsourcing the actual build of a car, only support more managing positions here on our ground.

The purchase of foreign cars that are OWNED over seas, only creates more efficient trade. If they build better cars, then they should sell them, and we should buy them. They can only focus on so much, so they become distracted and produce other things worse/less. Example: Wood, Wheat, raw materials. Since they don't have those items, we jack up the prices and create better paying jobs in other industries. Times change... people need to also. Frankly, I say buy the best value, reguardless, and support more effecient trade... it only makes it better for everyone in the end.

BTW, I am impressed with the improvements of domestically built autos. While my exploder is a cheaper model, and has tons of rattles, it will run a damn long time, and was cheaper than a comperable foriegn vehicle. It was the best bang for my buck!

Ummm, anybody calling a Dodge Ram an American truck needs to think about that. If a Tundra can be built in America by a Japanese company but not be American, how can a German-owned truck can be built in America and be American?? The only real true American trucks anymore are the F-150, Sierra, and Silverado, disregarding the fact that the two GM trucks are built in Canada.

one of my other truck's is a 03 f-150 super crew larait 4x4 5.4 and i love it not a prob's but then again i will NEVER BUY ANT THING BUT FORD it's fast it's tow's very well nice ride i have the fx4 off road pkg also just all around a good truck. i had a 98 expy(basicly a f-150) 4x4 xlt 4.6 from 1998-2001 and i never had a prob with that truck ether just regular oil changes

just somthing to think about

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've driven my bro-in-laws tundra a few times. it definitely has more power than my truck! it drove really nice, almost too car like though in how smooth it was. if you like that, good. if your used to truck feel, you may not like it. it was really quiet for a v8 also and while driving, road noise was low. the seats and armrests and stuff were not the most comfortable ever though. its a nice truck. if i get a truck though, i want fullsize rather than 7/8th like someone mentioned above.

Back