• Register Today It's free!

Third brake light location

Banjoman47

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericksburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Sport Trac Limited
Hello there! New member here. 2008 Sport Trac. My ST has a spoiler on the bed lid which has an LED 3 brake light in it. After purchase I noticed that I would come on and flash when I hit the brakes with the left turn signal on. Yep. The fellow had wired it into the existing left hand brake light. I removed it from there and correctly spliced the brake light back together. I now want to wire it correct and will also be wiring in a flasher (timed)/brake light sender. I don't believe there is anyway to wire this into the existing trailer plug, is it? The Sport Trak 4wd comes with the 6 pin plug as well as the standard 4-way plug. A) I considered using the blue wire in the 6 pin connector which is designed for use with electric trailer brakes. But I was told that I will need to wire in a brake controller in order for this wire to activate during braking. I assume that's correct? or B) Find the location of the factory 3rd brake light wire leading to the cab mounted brake light. Any guidance in the simplest way to wire this spoiler brake light. FYI - yes I've researched this and found some responses but non involve a spoiler like this. Thanks in advance and looking forward to interacting with other Sport Trac and Explorer members.

IMG_1599.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take the 2 screws out of the 3rd brake light, this will show you the color of the
wire going to the brake light.
You will then know what color to look for in the driver's kick panel or threshold moulding
to tap into to run a wire in wire loom to the rear of the truck to connect to the spoiler led.
You can add your flasher/timed sender at the point you tap into the wire.
Ground can be done at a point in the rear of the truck's factory wiring for brake/parking lights.

Some other postings in other forums I read have said there is a 8 pin connector on the frame
rail near the spare tire that has a light green wire that is the same as the 3rd brake light.
I haven't verified this and it would need to be checked with a safety test meter to be sure.

Thank you Electron for the fast response. Think I'll look-see for that 8 pin connector as it would put me near the rear and less wire to run. If that turns out to not exist, I'll look for the wire color you've suggested.

Hello there! New member here. 2008 Sport Trac. My ST has a spoiler on the bed lid which has an LED 3 brake light in it. After purchase I noticed that I would come on and flash when I hit the brakes with the left turn signal on. Yep. The fellow had wired it into the existing left hand brake light. I removed it from there and correctly spliced the brake light back together. I now want to wire it correct and will also be wiring in a flasher (timed)/brake light sender. I don't believe there is anyway to wire this into the existing trailer plug, is it? The Sport Trac 4wd comes with the 6 pin plug as well as the standard 4-way plug. A) I considered using the blue wire in the 6 pin connector which is designed for use with electric trailer brakes. But I was told that I will need to wire in a brake controller in order for this wire to activate during braking. I assume that's correct? or B) Find the location of the factory 3rd brake light wire leading to the cab mounted brake light. Any guidance in the simplest way to wire this spoiler brake light. FYI - yes I've researched this and found some responses but non involve a spoiler like this. Thanks in advance and looking forward to interacting with other Sport Trac and Explorer members.

View attachment 174337
Just a note: I removed the 3rd brake light and the lead wire is solid green. Will test with a test light shortly. As for the wires at the harness located near the spare tire, the only green wire I found there was a small light green w/white stripe. I don't think that works as a 3rd brake light. More to follow.

Old school military splice.
Many today cut the wire, strip and use the heat shrink butt connectors
in the appropriate wire gauge size with two wires coming in one
end of the butt connector and one wire out the other.

They have the heat shrink connectors with solder built into the center
so no crimping needed, a micro torch is recommended.

Nothing wrong with a proper soldered connection that is insulated after the fact.
Not a fan of the "scotch locks". To much of a chance for corrosion and improper
piercing of the wire through the insulation.

miltary splice.jpg

Heat_Shrink_Splice_761245_1.jpg

solder heat shrink.jpg

Just a note: I removed the 3rd brake light and the lead wire is solid green. Will test with a test light shortly. As for the wires at the harness located near the spare tire, the only green wire I found there was a small light green w/white stripe. I don't think that works as a 3rd brake light. More to follow.

Follow up: I tested the solid green wire and it is the 3rd brake light lead. Now for my problem. I can splice into this wire easily enough but there is no where to go with it to get outside the cab. The wires on the left side all feed the 3rd brake and bed lights, cabin courtesy, etc. There are NO openings, that I can find, that lead outside the cab. The main loom for all the rear brakes, back-ups, trailer, etc. travel out of the cab on the right side of the truck well forward near the front door. I would have to run the wire all the over to the right side, then out (if I can find that opening), then all the way back. HOWEVER, I can drill a small hole through the read of the cab behind the left seat. I pulled the trim back and there is a small rubber grommet located behind the trim. The cabin is doubled at that point but there is a hole there as well, and then there the back of the cab. I could drill a small hole there and run the wire through that and seal it with sealant. From there I can easily run the wire to the back of the truck. Any opinion? Would you do this?

I would look for that same wire in the drivers foot kick panel behind the emergency brake pedal.
Look forward from that point at the firewall. There is usually a point at which Ford had brought
power in from the battery to the under dash fuse block. It may be well hidden in a rubber grommet.

This is were many times as a custom installer, I have taken wires outside the cabin to run accessories
in loom to underhood or even the rear of a vehicle. I you have to enlarge the grommet to run the wire
outside, be sure to seal with silicone and the wire is in its own grommet or wire loom to prevent chaffing.

Sometimes no access point was available and a custom hole had to be made in the front fire wall.
Carefully MAKE sure there aren't any obstacles on either side of the firewall if no other access hole is
available BEFORE making a hole.

I know you want the shortest route to run the wire, but the front firewall was always our
choice for routing wiring outside the vehicle.

Back