Third Row Seat to Extra Cargo Conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Third Row Seat to Extra Cargo Conversion

argroft

Reaction score
City, State
Hanover, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Mountaineer
I figured I'd post my latest project here for anyone interested. Recently I read this thread about removing the third row seat and adding extra storage. There was a comment by scdix50 in particular that caught my interest. Essentially, he had removed the third row and built a platform with flip open doors to provide added storage. I thought "That's a great idea! I should try that", so I did. I figured being 21 and without kids that I'd likely never use the third row seating in my 2003 Mountaineer, so I might as well make good use of the space instead.

7vodctW.jpg

This is the inner framework of the entire setup. I wanted a little extra depth, so I built it up about 3" above the previous level. The frame is attached to the studs that were previously used to fasten the seat. The front mounting ended up being fairly simple as I used the same method as scdix50, which was to use turnbuckles to fasten to the child safety hooks behind the second row.

9qEsagr.jpg

This is a shot of the completed setup. I couldn't get a hold of a perfect matching carpet, but it's close enough that I don't think it's an issue. For the doors, I used "slam latches" which were marketed for marine use. These were the only recessed latches/handles that I could find that didn't cost $50 a piece.

Yq3I02T.jpg

Here's an image of the farthest back compartment. I used full overlay euro-style hinges to attach each panel so that I couldn't see the hinges when it was closed up. Each compartment is wired with LED lighting so I can always see what I'm doing. There is a normally closed switch mounted in the right corner under each lid to control the lighting.

HoeYTM9.jpg

sDvwXdZ.jpg

This compartment is my favorite. I wanted to have an easily accessible space to store any tools that I may put in down the road, so I came up with this "lift up" tray. Using the handle on the front edge, if you pull the tray up and toward you, it pulls right out. When pulled out, it just barely floats above the surface, that way it can't mark up the carpet, but also so if something were to break, nothing can fall and damage anything (or anyone). It makes it a lot easier to gain access to the tray's storage, especially if I need to use it for extended periods of time. The LED lighting is included here as well, except I took an extra step to guard them a bit so I can't easily knock something into them and break them.

So far I am pretty pleased with the results and will probably work on some kind of organizer(s) for the tool tray and/or other compartments.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome work!!!

That is really cool! You could modify them slightly and have a great custom gun rack that is out of sight.

Beautiful work! And some great ideas. Love it! Thanks for the pictures! Helps so much. Have you got any of it before you started, with the 3rd row out?

That is awesome! I took my 3rd row out and did something similar, albeit much less simpler. Basically I fastened a 2x4 on each side of the back using long self tapping bolts, then I cut a plywood top that just lays on top. I keep my jack and some tools stored under the floor. It's helpful but I could definitely use more space under the floor, i like how you raised it up that 3". I glued a sheet of foam diamond plate mat to the plywood but it isn't really durable. Once I get my new shocks installed, I think this is gonna be my next project! I'm thinking of adding a wedge shaped subwoofer box towards the front, with the subs facing the back of the seats so my dog doesn't scratch them up. Ill probably make it kind of "U" shaped so the middle will be lower and I'll still be able to fit long pieces of lumber by lowering the middle seat. Or I might just remove the middle seat entirely and build a sub box to fit there, with 2 car seats in the back there isn't much room for anyone to sit there anyway.

When you built that, did you make a template of the back space and assemble the frame and set it in? Or did you just cut each piece and assemble it in the back as you went along?

I work in a commercial cabinet shop, so I've got access to all kinds of plywood and machinery.

Where did you get the carpeting from? My interior is the same color. Man that looks great, you did an awesome job!

You've got some mad skills there. Very nice.

Nice :thumbsup:

Back