Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

this 2000 Explorer climbed Mt Washington

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by svt4cam, July 17, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. svt4cam

svt4cam Active Member

City, State:
      The Wilds of New Jersey
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      00 XLT, 02 Sport, 03 XLT
      Just had to gush somewhere I hope the moderators will let it slide. We took our 2000 xlt 4door 4.0 sohc with 205xxx miles on vacation to Bar Harbor, Me from New Jersey again this year because my wife's 09 Forester is too small to hold all the stuff and my 02 sport only has 2 doors not good for 4 people. I've done a trans swap with a new Jasper @ 179,000 among other things to those doubting my sanity. After a lovely week in Bar Harbor amassing about 700 miles since we left home we went to Mount Washington in NH and went up the auto road http://www.mtwashingtonautoroad.com/ average 12% grade for 8 miles in 1st gear and the old girl performed admirably. (Just FYI a jeep had to be flatbedded down halfway because of mechanical problems) Then she got us home to NJ safely. As much as people gripe about these machines I have to say I wouldn't trust another 11 year old machine with that kind of mileage to do that.

Last edited: July 17, 2011
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. chapsdeva

chapsdeva Active Member

City, State:
      Richmond, Va
      2015 Limited
      I know where you are coming from. These 4.0 SOHC motors and 5r55e trannys get a lot of bad posts here. Not saying it's not deserved, but I would take my 172K Explorer anywhere. She's not perfect, but I trust her to get me where I need to go.

4. Xplorer82

Xplorer82 Active Member

City, State:
      OH.
      '97 XLT... '98 Eddie...
      ditto. i would not hesitate to drive mine anywhere. even w/228k miles. original motor (timing chains, guides, ect.), trans (besides flushes/filter), transfer case (besides a flush), ect... i'll see 300k+ out of mine easily.