• Register Today It's free!

Those with Manual T-cases.....

CarFreak146

Reaction score
City, State
Shawnee, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT
any possible way y'all could post a pic of where your sticks come through at??? It would be greatly appreciated.... I'm about to put a twin-sticked D20 in the Explorer behind my C4, and I would like to see where the sticks are gonna come up (general area) so I can see what I'll have to do with my center console (I'm making a custom one) I thank you all in advance.

--Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here are my atlas knobs (seat all the way forward):
Atlas-knob.jpg

alright, Thanks Jefe, it looks from that picture that they come up about 4-6" in front of where the seat brackets bolt in the front.... on the tranny hump of course.... ok thanks.... do you have anymore angles? or possibly a pic with the seat back all the way??

--Ryan

Not twin stick.. sorry.

attachment.php

don't be sorry man.... this helps me a lot..... by comparing both yours and Jefe's pics though, it looks like it just all depends on the t-case I guess though, b/c you're both come up in very different locations. I thank you for your pic Jake.

--Ryan

Yes its all going to depend on the t-case, and what linkage you put with it. I had to customize my linkage to get it to clear the seat while keeping the center console.

The previous pic is with a 3" body lift. Here is after I removed the body lift:

atlas-knob2.jpg

atlas-knob3.jpg

I should note that my linkage is custom too.. it originally came up further back, and more to the passenger side(got in way of manual tranny).

sweet, thanks for the info guys.... I'm not sure how I'd would modify the linkage, b/c on the D20, the twin sticks mount straight to the tranny, in a specific spot.... but I'll see.... when you guys cut the holes for the sticks to come through... how did you find out where to cut the holes at?? just drilled a hole from underneath??

The BW1354 linkage (BII or Ex) has a pivot point that allows side-to-side movement. In a factory install, there's a steel plate with a 'gate' that keeps you from shifting from 4Hi into Neutral (shift pattern: 2Hi, 4Hi, N, 4Lo). You have to push the shifter toward the driver's side (and then pull back) to avoid the gate (to reach neutral and then 4Lo). There is a rubber bumper, at the pivot point, to keep the shifter vertical. By removing (or cutting) the bumper, you might be able to get the linkage to exit the tunnel just to the left of the console (I'm going to try to make this work). If there's way to incorporate that type of pivot in the D20 shifters, you might be able to keep the console in place. Otherwise, it'll have to go.

As for the hole in the tunnel, there's a removable plate from the factory. You can modify that or buy the plate that already has the hole for the manual (like Jake's).

alright, thanks for the info Bronco... I cannot do that on the D20, from what I've noticed, on this one, there are two posts that stick out from the t-case, and they have what I'll call the "shift tabs" for lack of a better word. Now, the twin sticks, which are mounted to a pivot point on the tranny, slide into these shift tabs and go straight up. I"ll have to see if I can possibly fab up new shift tabs or something.... thanks for the info on the removable plate also.

--Ryan

I modified my linkage with an oxy/acetylene torch. It also hooks into a specific spot in the extension housing. I just changed the geometry of it.

oh, gotcha, thanks man. I'll keep that in mind.

Back