Thought I was getting 5R55E, WTF is this? (Pics) (911! Swap tomorrow!!!) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thought I was getting 5R55E, WTF is this? (Pics) (911! Swap tomorrow!!!)

MackZatis

Reaction score
City, State
Phila, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport
Vehicle info; 1997 (Production Date 02/97) Ford Explorer Sport 2dr, 4.0l SOHC. 4WD 5R55E Trans with auto transfer case

Ok, So thought I got the same thing as was in my truck, but upon close inspection today when went to swap my 2 speed sensors over to my replacement trans (original ones were broken), I noticed the one was in a different location, with a different sensor (or so it seems). The original sensors connection faced straight up on a 45 deg angle, and the sensor from my truck faces straight back to the rear on a 90 deg bend. I dont have a pic of the orig sensor from the donor trans as I threw it away days ago, before I realized I had this problem. Also I didn't get to look at the bellhousing or take pics of it today as my shop was closing, I was rushing and forgot. But her are the pics I do have. The sensors I'm asking about have been circled with whiteout for ease of viewing...
Question(s) is; Can I use this replacement trans or not? If so, what's need to do so? Why the different location? Do they both do the same thing, just a different year and placement or something? (Both trans have only those 2 speed sensors)

First up is the trans that failed and is being replaced(Sensor bore right after bellhousing). Also included is the transfer case, (which I was hoping to change, but obviously can't do now) so that may help to identify what trans I have and what is was originally in.

IMG_20160415_174052923.jpg

IMG_20160415_174210014_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160415_174219544.jpg

IMG_20160415_174319848_HDR.jpg

Now the transmission & transfer case which I WAS planing on installing tomorrow (Sensor bore above range selector)

IMG_20160415_174036505.jpg

IMG_20160415_174228294.jpg

IMG_20160415_174243136.jpg

IMG_20160317_182608617_HDR_1.jpg

Oh, and the 2 sensors, well the one from my old trans, and the piece from my donor

IMG_20160415_174411382.jpg

You can;t really see in the picture, but the whole sensor is smooth all the way around, and the broken off one has low spots/recesses square in shape.

ANY & ALL info/input is welcomed!
So thanks to everyone who replied to me in advance. I'll probably be bashing my brains out tomorrow work on this and won't be able to reply.

Much appreciated,
Zack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What did the donor trans come out of exactly?

Doesn't the Ford part number 1L54-----CC indicate it was from a 2001 Ranger?

I'm not sure. Thats what I'm asking. I'm also asking if I can use it or not. Of all the info and pics I searched through I have not seen a case with the sensor bores in the locations they are on mine.

Here is my 98 5R55E... differs of yours too

13062863_10154102859877402_423714627079179359_o.jpg

Ok so maybe I can use i. If I do the recall where just crimp the 2 wires for the ft ODD sensor. Plug the middle one. And use only the rear most one, and my VSS sensor on my t case. Then it should work as my PCM was never using that middle sensor. The ISS I believe. Am I rght in that line of thought?

That combo looks like it came out of a Ranger. The 1354 t-case is the main give away. That year ex had the 4405 as shown in the first pics. So right off the bat you wont be able to use that 1354 in your truck. They work differently and are controlled differently by the GEM. Your GEM wont work that case correctly.

Hi guys been following this forum for long time so I finally joined and have a issue I cannot find and answer too.
I took a 95 yes 95 second gen door tag dated 03/95 and it had a bad transmission in it so I took a donor 2000 4x4 and I swapped the trans and tcases (I do not plan on using 4wd)
Only thing I had to convert was the gear selector on trans, different amount of pins,
And currently I'm trying to figure out the not having a speedometer issue.

The trans I have in the 95 right now looks just like jmvb transmission in the above pic, I currently do not having anything plugged into the oss(output shaft sensor) but I did keep the pigtail for it from the 2000 truck. The 95's speed sensor was in the tcase but that tcase is bad I already trie swapping it and it didn't work well with the trans assuming maybe it's bad it wouldn't shift at all only would redline.

I read about the sensor in the 2000 being in the rear axle and to my knowledge in the 95 that sensor is used for abs.

Did this swap from the OP get completed?
Did I put an incompatible trans it my 95?
Shall I swap the computer and ignition(transponder key in the 2000)?

What do I do guys so far it runs and drives great but it doesn't go into od(flashing od light) and I don't have a speedometer reading!!??

Your speedometer was fed from the speed sensor in the t-case. The 2000 speed sensor was in the rear diff. I'm not sure on the wiring on the 95 but the 2000 speed signal is sent into the ABS module and from there it goes to the speedo.

So I might be **** outta luck on a speedo? I realized I fudged swapping in a 5r instead of another 4R

Or you could get your hands on a t case from a 95 to I believe 97 that has the speed sensor in it.

I'll have to look into that. I tried the 95s tcase with the 2000 transmission and i think that tcase was just bad cause it wouldn't shift at all

Back