• Register Today It's free!

Thoughts after 250 miles

RLWSNOOK

Reaction score
City, State
OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
So I've had my explorer for a few days wanted to post my thoughts on it at it's 250 mile birthday.
1. The car is very quiet and smooth, if you have kids or a baby they are gonna fall right to sleep in this car.
2. Because it is soo smooth 40 mph feels like you are doing 20 mph... I'm gonna get a ticket I just know it... :p damn you ford for making such a smooth ride
3. Love the back up camera (makes it so much easier to reverse).
4. the EPA ratings were low. I got 25.2 mpg on a 120 mile highway trip (this is before break in so it should get better from that).
5. My god that trunk is huge haha I'm coming from a escape, and now with the 3rd row down that trunk is so big I don't know what to do with all that space...
6. The seats are very very comfortable. I have back issues, and if I sit in the same car seat for too long (over an hour) my tail bone and lower back start to really hurt. This isn't the case with the new explorer.. Had 0 back pain after a 3 hour drive. I couldn't believe it, I've never been in a car that hasn't made my back pain flare up. Whoever designed the seat for the 2011 explorer deserves a raise!!
7. I don't have bliss but the side mirrors with blind spot mirrors, they are kinda hard to get use to, but after you do they are very cool!! If you have them adjusted correctly at all times while your head is forward you can see a car to the side of you. It moves from your big part of the mirror into your blind spot area and then into your field of vision way too cool.
8. The MFT system works great, haven't had one issue with the v2.7
9. the power lift gate is great
10. Still getting use to not having a cap for my fuel, but it makes it a lot easier!
11. there are tons of outlets or jacks to plug stuff into, ford was really thinking when they made this car.
12. sync services are too cool, prob won't use them too often but it's nice to have when I do need them
13. Sorry ford, but this thing isn't a ford... It's a high end luxury car. If you take the badges off of it, and had someone drive it, they would never ever guess it was a ford. nor would they guess it was as cheap as it is to buy... this thing should be selling for $70-80,000 And for all of you who say it is expensive, go look at luxury cars, build them to have everything this explorer has... you will see what I mean.
14. Just a great car all around. Can't be happier with it.

Only issue has been a slight wind noise\rattle while the wind is blowing just right and very hard. It's not that bad though and only when the wind blows just right, so at the first service appointment I'll have them check it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:DI echo your positive comments about the X. I've had mine for 2 days, and it's better than any vehicle I've ever driven in! I feel like I'm out of my league!

we have had our XLT for about 1100 miles now & it is quieter & smoother than our old Lincoln Town Car!! The seats are great! I agree, the seats in my F-150 are better than what was in the Lincoln! Not sorry to see that car go, they got worse every time I bought one. The Explorer is an all around a super rig to drive, never had anything like this!!

After 986 miles I must concur, and thats coming from a 07 GMC Yukon Denali full load.

Very well done Ford, just have to work out a few bugs with MFT and it's the best system out.

I find it amazing that the Explorer has almost twice the usable room behind the 3rd row seats then my old full size Yukon, yet the third row seats are more comfortable to ride in as compared to the big Yukon.

The safety in this vehicle is beyond anything else out there and your comment about doing a comparison with vehicles much more expensive is bang on.

2. Because it is soo smooth 40 mph feels like you are doing 20 mph... I'm gonna get a ticket I just know it... :p damn you ford for making such a smooth ride

I agree, and I'm coming from an Escape (hybrid) too. Several times already I have been accelerating to 65 coming onto the freeway, and before I realize it I'm already up to 80.

Had to laugh when I saw your rattle comment. Just this afternoon I started hearing a rattle and was getting a little upset. Can't have a rattle in a new car. That's just unacceptable. Then I realized that it was my sunglasses in the upper storage area. Whew. I did almost the exact same thing when I first got my Escape, but that time the rattle was from the coins I put in the coin holder. :D

I am coming out of an 09 Flex ltd. Does any one here have first hand experiance of this as well to the difference in ride? I do expect it to be a bit more choppy ,just because it is an EX. I am making my wife happy anyway ,getting rid of what she calls the Hearse on the driveway.

I thought the flex was a little smoother ride and more comfortable seats.

Back