Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Thoughts on brake dust shields

Discussion in 'Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by HiImBrian, July 5, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. HiImBrian

HiImBrian Well-Known Member

City, State:
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
    Stumbled across these when google F***ed up my search for offroad HID's...

http://www.discountbrakes.com/shop/?N=0&VN=4294967180+4294966864+4294966120+4294966117+4294966883&Nr=AND(category:Brake,universal:0)&Ntt=brake+dust+wheel+shields

Any thoughts on these? Do you think they will affect the performance of my brakes at all? Or maybe trap all kinds of dirt and junk picked up from the road? I figure for 35$ a pair it may be worth looking into... Cleaning the brake dust off my tires and rims all the damn time is getting old fast. Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Black Dynomite

Black Dynomite Active Member

City, State:
    Wellington, New Zealand
    2005 Ltd 4.6L
    Not for me, I'd rather shell out for some ceramic pads to lower dust, besides cleaning the wheels is just part of my regular wash/wax routine and I dont find it too much extra effort.

4. HiImBrian

HiImBrian Well-Known Member

City, State:
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
    I've got ceramic pads already and I really don't mind cleaning my wheels and tires when I detail my truck; just when the body is waxed, clean and shiny for 3 weeks and my wheels look like hell after a week. I don't do a ton of offroading (yet) so there is no need for my wheels to be that dirty. It just seems like an inexpensive enough investment to make if the negatives don't outweigh the positives.....

5. EX-SV

EX-SV Active Member

City, State:
    northern California
    owned a 07 EBV8 4x4
    My thoughts, shields not attractive, and not good for keeping brakes cool on mountain roads. Therefore not using dust shields on any of my vehicles.

We Support Our Troops!