Throw the torsion bars away. 2nd gen coil over swap. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Throw the torsion bars away. 2nd gen coil over swap.

local7teener

Reaction score
City, State
Chesterfield, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 mountaineer v8
So I wanted to see if i could get some definate answers here. I've read the other couple threads on this site on the idea that you could swap out the torsion bars for coil overs.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186393

Couldn't really get any definate conclusion on wether this is a possiblity on stock height 2nd gen 4wd.

I helped a friend of mine a couple years ago put a RCD lift on his ranger, and liked how his truck rode after with the coil's. So Summitracing.com has coil over's any size, any spring rate. I know on the rcd you have to strengthen the upper shock mount by welding on some gussets to the stock shock mount.
So my question is has ANYONE done a coil over swap so to stock height 2nd gen and if it feasible, I've been doing my shopping, and could start this soon.

My plan.

-Find coil's that are narrow enough to clear the upper a-arm,
-Adjustable shocks for fine tuning the ride height in the front
-Limit straps
-Elimanate/heavily modify the upper shock mount for a stronger mount, probably an eye style mount shock
-gusset the underside of the lower conrtol arm with some 1/4" steel
-take the torsion bars to the dumpster

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm subscribing...been wondering the same thing.

Hey guys new to the explorer family. But I drive a tj. And My only question with the swap is.Is it worth it? I mean in $ sense. Wouldn't it be just as much to get a solid front axle and throw some upper and lower control arms in it? But then again if you never plan on lifting the truck it isn't really neccesary.Just my 2 cents.:thumbsup:

P.s Like to forum and looking forward to learning more about these trucks.

heres the deal with stock height C/O swaps. the only way to succesfully do it is to get a very skinny coil and or shock due to the fact that the coil tends to rub the upper a arm and you also need to basically cut out the bump stop. you may think about lookin into air shocks. also if you want more info look for the thread i started about C/O swaps.

ok heres the deal if you want a "softer ride" than change shocks and get a lower rated torison bar. hell of alot cheaper hate to burst your bubble but if your not lifting it and going offroad than it a waste of money and alot of pissed off nights at your truck, but if you are lifting it than its still kinda a waste cause you'll be like me and want a sas right after you set the thing on the ground.

Someone did try that once a looong long time ago (custom, not the RCD parts)... IIRC, it was a miserable failure. He basically built a bridge over the CV shaft to the LCA, then connected the upper mount to a bracket that had been welded to the frame. The end result was numerous failures due to shoddy workmanship and a poor design, but the concept was solid IMHO. It just needed a proper install, not the garbage he had on there.

He went back to stock after a few months of dealing with the headaches...

-Joe

I do a bit of off roading, mostly running in the dunes, or through the woods. I had a 01 ranger as well, and am not impressed by the torsion bars. I have a bigger tire, and have them (t-bars) cranked. The ride is just so rough, not unbearable, but in the dunes my suspension just plain sucks. Bottoms out, even with new poly bump stops. The tacomas have coil over front shocks, i've been thinking of using them, they are 2 inches longer fully extended, and utilize a 3 bolt upper shock mount. I could check the overall coil diameter, and fab a new upper mount, i just didn't know if it was feasable without having adjustable coils..

I like the height i have now. but want the ride of an rcd..What am i to do?

is this thing 2 or 4 wheel drive if its 2 than its a hell of alot easier to do just buy the rcd mounts drill some holes in your lower a arm and pop the coilover in but 4 wheel its alot to work to get around the cv and upper at stock it makes it easier with the superlift crossmember drops because it gives you more clearence on everything but its still very tight fit.

mines a 4wd, and i'm not looking for any lift, just an improved ride. Heres a picture of the tacoma shocks i was talking about earlier in the thread, 2" longer fully extended than the stockers. And pretty narrow around the cv's, much like the stock ones. I'm not worried alot about the upper mount style as i can fab and weld up a nice new one.

2034_11.jpg

The problem is that the lower control arm wasn't designed to support the weight of the vehicle through the shock mounts. The shock mounts are there to damp suspension movement, not support the vehicle weight. I would not recommend using them to do so without doing some engineering analysis on the components involved first. (namely the lower control arms)

-Joe

I do a bit of off roading, mostly running in the dunes, or through the woods. I had a 01 ranger as well, and am not impressed by the torsion bars. I have a bigger tire, and have them (t-bars) cranked. The ride is just so rough, not unbearable, but in the dunes my suspension just plain sucks. Bottoms out, even with new poly bump stops. The tacomas have coil over front shocks, i've been thinking of using them, they are 2 inches longer fully extended, and utilize a 3 bolt upper shock mount. I could check the overall coil diameter, and fab a new upper mount, i just didn't know if it was feasable without having adjustable coils..

I like the height i have now. but want the ride of an rcd..What am i to do?
Ch

Back