Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Throwing out an introduction...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by The DB, July 18, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. The DB

The DB Active Member

City, State:
      St. Louis
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 Limited SOHC
      I recently pulled out my radio equipment that for the most part hasn't been used in over ten years. I have been surfing the frequencies to see if there are any local groups left in the area, haven't found any yet (save channel 19 which always has someone on it). I'll likely go with the handle DB... Am in the Ex intermittently and randomly so I"ll be hit or miss at best...

I've also been monitoring the local St. Louis 2 meter repeater at frequency 146.94- pretty much constantly. I don't talk much, if you hear the call sign KC0FVN that's me. One of these months I intend to get to a meeting of the group that runs that repeater, but you know what they say about intensions, especially the good ones...

I have much experience tuning SWR on antennas, I used to tune antennas for a CB shop on the side for some extra cash and was trained by the best repair tech I know. I learned not only what does and doesn't work but why as well.

My favorite memory from those days was a person who refused to believe that a little four foot antenna mounted on the back bumper and not tall enough to even reach the top of his SUV or the trailer he often pulled was in about the worst possible place for transmission or reception, and was also likely the cause of the higher than 2:1 SWR reading he couldn't seem to get down. He argued with me and others over this for years, literally, and calling us all idiots... Not sure if he ever even tried to follow any of our suggestions, he never paid for us to even attempt to tune the antenna...

The DB

Last edited: July 18, 2011
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. rizzjc

rizzjc Scubajoe - Radio Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Garner, NC
      '97 AWD V8 XLT
      Callsign:
      N1LVN
      Welcome to Explorer Forum! Sorry I'm a little late with the welcoming committee. ;)

4. DB_1

DB_1 Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Quinta, Ca.
      97 SC Ranger xlt
      uh oh, another DB :p:

Welcome;)

5. The DB

The DB Active Member

City, State:
      St. Louis
      2000 Limited SOHC
      Uh oh... Two DB's? I hope the message board can handle that, I mean after all one of us is a lot to handle, but two? Is that even possible?

The DB