1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

"Thump" when shifting gears

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by drstein, December 25, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. drstein

drstein New Member

City, State:
      Justin, TX
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 XLT
      Hi!

I hope this is the right forum for this, so here goes..

I have a stock 1994 XLT, with about 120k miles on it. I bought it used. With increasing frequency, I hear a "Thump" coming from what sounds like the rear end when going from Park -> Reverse, or from Forward -> Reverse (and vice versa). This just started very recently.

I've been told that it could be the U-Joints starting to go.

How difficult are these to replace? If I was to take it to a shop, how much might I get stuck paying? How long might I have left before something serious malfunctions?

I'm flat broke for another 2 weeks (new job) and am going on a overnight camping trip Sunday, and I might need to use 4WD. Any potential issues with using 4WD right now?

Thanks, all!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Does it ever clunk when slowing to a stop? It may be the slip yoke on the driveshaft is dry. There is a metal retaining clamp that hold the boot on. You have to cut this and pack it with grease, and install a new clamp. If it is the u joints you should be able to replace them your self. It is an easy, quick job. They are also cheap. As far as 4x4, if it's in the rear shaft, it won't make any difference. If a u joint lets go your shaft will come apart. Then you will have to limp wherever you are going in 4x4, with front wheel drive only. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

4. Eneurb

Eneurb Active Member

City, State:
      Ajax, Ontario, Canada
      1998 Limited
      It sounds like a u-joint... depending on how inclined you are, they are not difficult to do. They also should not be that expensive to have replaced. As for driving it, you should be okay for a few weeks... just take it easy.

5. drstein

drstein New Member

City, State:
      Justin, TX
      1994 XLT
      Cool, thanks for the advice. It doesn't do it when slowing/stopping, just when going from forward <-> reverse. I'm going to pick up a Chilton's guide for the Ex pretty soon and look into the u-joints.

:D