Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Thumping noise in the rear..I think?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Eastcoastmod, June 21, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Eastcoastmod

Eastcoastmod Member

City, State:
      Halifax,
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2003 Explorer Limited 4.6
      After discovering a broken belt in one of my i tires I put the spare on the Truck. The nasty woble from the broken belt is gone but has been replaced by an intermittent thump from the rear.

My question is this. Is it possible that because the spare has full tread and the other tire on the rear is almost done for, could the rear diff be having issues causing a thump?

The two front bearings are less than 3 months old. I replaced both rears within the last two years. I don't appear to have any play in the bearings, but i'm not a mechanic.

2003 LIMITED 4.6 NO MODS ONE OWNER ABOUT 100000MILES

IT CAN HAPPEN AT JUST ABOUT ANY SPEED BUT IS MOST APPARENT AT SLOWER SPEEDS. IT STOPS COMPLETELY JUST BEFORE COMMING TO A STOP.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Eastcoastmod

Eastcoastmod Member

City, State:
      Halifax,
      As it turns out...yes a slightly larger tire can cause the issue. As soon as I press the 4x4 button the thumping stops but is replace by a slight whine.

4. Eastcoastmod

Eastcoastmod Member

City, State:
      Halifax,
      Update

when I replaced the tires and got back to the same height all the way around, all issues went away. In hind site, the brown wire mod would have been helpful.