Thumping noise

mreimler

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
Greetings from a new member.

I have an '00 XLT 4x4 with the SOHC 6 and 60k miles. My Explorer has recently developed a light clunk or thump noise that happens one time for each tire rotation and happens at all speeds. The noise can be felt more than heard but I haven't been outside the truck to hear it. The noise happens during acceleration, steady speed and coasting. The noise gets louder on left hand turns and almost goes away on right hand turns. I'm guessing it is either the right side CV shaft or wheel bearing assembly but would like to make sure before I spend money on replacement parts.

Anybody have the same experience or know what the problem is? Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi welcome
The only way I know to test cv's is to turn the vehicle at full lock first left then right it should be self evident which one is duff ( the outer of the turn ). Try lifting the front and feel the drive shaft to each wheel the one with lots of play is dead.
Also try using the search button to see if anyone else has had this trouble.

Turns out the thumping noise was from the left front tire which had a flat spot. Lesson learned: Always check the easy (cheap) stuff first.

Back