Tick, tick, tick: The infamous front of engine sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tick, tick, tick: The infamous front of engine sound

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
While pursuing these forums, I have observed a preponderance of the infamous “ticking from the motor” syndrome.

I have had these issues myself in the past years; they were always resolved by replacing either the idler pulley and/or the belt tensioner.

Well recently the dreaded ticking sound arose from the dead on my SOHC motor.

The first step in diagnosing the situation is to remove the drive belt and listen for the sound. After removing the belt ( 5060845 [ this size is required on my truck due to the underdrive pulleys and is not always easy to find at parts centers ] ) and cranking the motor, I observed no ticking at idle or when revving the motor. This told me that was not an internal motor issue and was most likely pulley related.

After removing and inspecting both the idler pulley and the tensioner, I decided to replace them with spares that I keep in my parts inventory.

Well, after reinstalling the best and firing the motor, the damn tick was still there.

I decided to replace the belt with a new one, hoping that this would solve the problem. No joy; the tick remained.

I next checked the pulleys on the power steering pump, the AC compressor, and the alternator. All were fine.

What's left? The drive belt, but I already replaced it and that didn’t solve the problem. I decided to install another new belt. This proved to be fruitless.

I drove the truck for another week with the annoying sound emanating from the front of the motor.

Today, I decided to re examine all the pulleys and the drive belt. The pulleys were determined not to be the sound maker. That leaves the drive belt; and I have already replaced it several times. What the heck, what’s another belt ( except another $28.87 )?

After installing the third brand new belt, viola, the tick has been exorcised. A road test established the tick is gone.

Lesson learned: just because a new part was used doesn’t mean it will solve the problem.

Hopefully this will help others with the dreaded tick.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very odd, perhaps something was wearing the belt? Damaging it in some way?

No, the belts all appeared visually to be pristine.

The prevalent tick that occurs in most of the OHV engines is because the lifters and top of the engine doesn't quite get adequate lubrication of oil. The SOHC engines have a completely different top end. If a SOHC is ticking it's not the famous tick that is generally considered harmless with the OHV engines.

yup briwayjones is correct just took mine in for the same noise today 95 ohv and it is the lifters and i had it converted to 15w-40 full synthetic w/lucas additive and it has quited by a big margin no wear near as loud just when it first warms up but this is normal for the high mileage ohv and mine has 190k plus still going strong

I actually switched to a 5w-20 synthetic and it actually helped quite a bit. If the oil passages are too small, then thicker oil will only impede flow to these components. So switching to a thinner oil, it should help the pump get that oil to where it needs to be. Yes it is speced for 5w-30, but it is much quieter, other than a rattle I have coming from elsewhere, which I believe to be the front skid plate I made.

Dan

My tick tick tick is not engine related. It is quite as a mouse with the drive belt removed.

And the damn sound has returned today. It does not change pitch or frequency with increased RPMs.

Still scratching the head ....

And it still goes away with the belt gone?

What belt? OHV's have timing chains and tensioners

He has SOHC.............................

oh my bad...just said because this thread is about the OHV rattle tap

This thread is about His SOHC making noises....

yes but read above (briwayjones) states that this is usually only common in the OHV's and he of course is correct because mine was looked at today and it was the lifters

Could it be one of the bearings in the pulleys is going bad, but you can only hear/feel it when there is a load on it? Like when the belt is attached?

Dan

Could it be one of the bearings in the pulleys is going bad, but you can only hear/feel it when there is a load on it? Like when the belt is attached?

Dan

Possibly, however, I have replaced both the idler and the tensioner with no luck. I also replaced the alternator pulley to see if it was the problem; no joy there.

The AC compress or is new so I seriously doubt it is the problem.

That leaves the PS pump and I have yet to pull it ( a PIA ).

The tick is driving me nuts ....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Further, I am not able to isolate the sound at the "source". I have had several others look/listen and also could not locate the source. I used a stethoscope with no positive results.

I am at a loss.

Back