Ticking noise coming from underneath (video) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ticking noise coming from underneath (video)

Arsenil

Reaction score
City, State
Monte-Carlo
Year, Model & Trim Level
Limited 97 4.0l 4WD
Hey guys,

i have some trouble with the truck it's why i'm sharing a video with all of the members and pro to tell me your suggestion.

I have a ford explorer 97, 4.0l SOHC 4x4 and it got : 111'162.6 Miles.
I recently made : 3" Body lift, Add a leaf procomp, RS9000XL, 275/70/16.

Let's play the video :

Thanks for your suggestion in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow that a heck of a tick .
first thing i`d try is remove the belt and try it again .dont run it long obviously as the fan wont be running .
if the sound isnt there during that test then its something along the belts path .

if its still there then you at least know its nothing in the rotation parts up front .

do you have the ohc(overhead cam) engine?that could be the timing chain death rattle ....i dont have that engine so i wouldnt know but if you do thats something thats a very common failure .if it is the timing chain rattle on the ohc then get it fixed right away or engine damage could occur when it breaks .

I would be interested in the solution as well because occasionally I hear the exact same sound.

When I first got my sport my engine made that same sound when I would first start it. Was the front chain tensioner. changed it and no more noise

Back