Time for tires | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The difference between the regular AS and the AS+ is "eco friendliness". The plus is made with less material, thus lighter. Lower reciprocating mass means better mileage, in theory. They say 6%. Only time will tell. Also, because of lower rolling resistance, the treadlife is longer. Again, very new so we'll have to wait and see. I can say that they're "ULTRA QUIET" which does lend itself to lower rolling resistance and longer tread life.
Thanks Ted but he was looking for a 'physical' difference to make sure he was getting what he was paying for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Ted but he was looking for a 'physical' difference to make sure he was getting what he was paying for.
Material's composition. That's the difference. The two tires look exactly the same, but side by side one is like 15% lighter. Made with different compound and construction.

Thanks Peter for the heads up. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye. Also some reviews I've read say they've been installed backwards, to look for the arrow that should be on the outside, some installers miss that.
I had that happen once with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires. One side was good and the other side was backwards.:D

Sorry Peter. Realize where he was heading now.

I am looking at Cooper Discoverer SRX as a replacement. Anyone running those?

I'm running the stock Hankook P255/50R20, and I'll need replacements this year.

Would love something with deeper tread and white letters, certainly nothing shorter or narrower.
Wider would be better.

Any suggestions?
Thanks for all the help over the years, everyone!
Mike C

I'm running the stock Hankook P255/50R20, and I'll need replacements this year.

Would love something with deeper tread and white letters, certainly nothing shorter or narrower.
Wider would be better.

Any suggestions?
Thanks for all the help over the years, everyone!
Mike C
Welcome to the 5th generation sub forums Mike.:wave:
With 2.5 years between posts I guess you're not having any issues with your Explorer. Have you checked out www.tirerack.com ? I've looked at a couple of such sites and don't recall seeing any "white letter" tires. Unless you are running dedicated Winter wheels like many of us do, I don't think going wider would be a good thing given the amount of snow the Winters seem to be bringing lately.

Peter

Have you checked out www.tirerack.com ? I've looked at a couple of such sites and don't recall seeing any "white letter" tires.
Peter

Thanks for the welcome..I have looked at TireRack, along with some of the other tire sites. I found these, but think I'll need additional clearance (a 2" lift kit?)

Toyo
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/To...spx?t_c=13&t_s=536&t_pt=101509&t_pn=TOY362700

Goodyear
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Go...?t_c=13&t_s=536&t_pt=101509&t_pn=GDY758073571

I bought my 2013 Ex XLT last month. It came with mixed tires, Michelins in back and Toyos in front. I read that rotation on a 4WD is back to front. Should I follow this routine? I don't know WHY it has mixed tires (all with good tread) but is this an issue?

Thanks for the welcome..I have looked at TireRack, along with some of the other tire sites. I found these, but think I'll need additional clearance (a 2" lift kit?)

Toyo
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/To...spx?t_c=13&t_s=536&t_pt=101509&t_pn=TOY362700

Goodyear
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Go...?t_c=13&t_s=536&t_pt=101509&t_pn=GDY758073571
Assuming that your OEM tires were 245/65R18 then neither of those sizes is recommended. That accepted maximum diameter variance is 3%. The Toyo works out to 4.5% and the Goodyear is 8.0%. Going over will put undue strain on the barking system and ABS and could lead to early brake failure. It also puts more pressure on the suspension parts. https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=245-65r18-275-60r20

Peter

I bought my 2013 Ex XLT last month. It came with mixed tires, Michelins in back and Toyos in front. I read that rotation on a 4WD is back to front. Should I follow this routine? I don't know WHY it has mixed tires (all with good tread) but is this an issue?
The Manual still shows the crossover method for rotating tires. I use the front to back method myself. I have been doing this since radials came out since there were reports that running them in a different direction from the 'break in' direction could cause belt separation issues. Something early radials suffered from. It may no longer be that way but out of habit I continue with it. Also if you are running directional tires you do definitely want to cross them over.
As far as having mixed tires, that isn't an ideal situation and not something suggested to do.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=136
http://www.weareaccurateautomotive.com/blog-0/bid/128677/Tires-for-All-Wheel-drive-vehicle-Beware

Peter

I ended up with Yokohama Geolander G055s, because that's what the dealer put on it before I bought it. I wasn't thrilled with some of the reviews, but I have been very happy with their performance. I think reviews on tires have to be taken somewhat with a grain of salt, because they don't factor in the differences in size or vehicle performance, and that will have an effect.

Wet and dry, they stick to the road well. The only times I've had any wheel slippage has been in spots where there was some loose gravel built up at the intersection. They handle well; I tend to take curves, like Interstate on and off ramps, a bit fast, and the Explorer has handled them all better than my KIA Optima, and my Jeep GC, both of which had equal or better tires. In fact, the only tires I've had, on any vehicle, that stuck to the road better than the Geolanders were the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos that I had on my '99 Explorer.

Assuming that your OEM tires were 245/65R18 then neither of those sizes is recommended.
Peter

Peter, thanks for the heads-up, but as stated in my first post above, I'm running the stock Hankook P255/50R20. Does that change anything?

I stink at math.

Peter, thanks for the heads-up, but as stated in my first post above, I'm running the stock Hankook P255/50R20. Does that change anything?

I stink at math.
It depends what was on the vehicle from the factory and I believe those were the 18" were they not? Can't remember if the 20" were a factory option.

If it came with OEM 20" tires you are still not in the acceptable range. The Goodyear would have a 9.8% diameter variance and the Toyo 6.2%
Just take that site I linked and punch in the numbers and then check to see if the diameter variance is within 3%.

Peter:
I think you said you replaced your tires before you picked up your vehicle. I have been hearing bad news about the factory Hankooks. I live in Florida and while we have SOME wet weather (daily during season) I don't think I need an all-weather tire. I was thinking of going to a summer tire. Your thoughts?

Peter:
I think you said you replaced your tires before you picked up your vehicle. I have been hearing bad news about the factory Hankooks. I live in Florida and while we have SOME wet weather (daily during season) I don't think I need an all-weather tire. I was thinking of going to a summer tire. Your thoughts?
I did replace the Hankooks on my 2011 with Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires because it was in March and reviews on the Hankooks for Winter conditions was not that great. The Yokohama tires had a more aggressive tread that might have handled any snow better. Had I picked the vehicle up later I may not have changed the tires because I always use dedicated Winter tires when the season comes around. I haven' had a chance to drive on the new Hankook tires that came with the 2017 because I had the dealer install my Winter tires that were in storage on it.
It makes sense that you could go with either a Summer or all season tire if you are in Florida. Why not try the Hankooks before changing them? You've already paid for the tires.;)

Peter

The Manual still shows the crossover method for rotating tires. I use the front to back method myself. I have been doing this since radials came out since there were reports that running them in a different direction from the 'break in' direction could cause belt separation issues. Something early radials suffered from. It may no longer be that way but out of habit I continue with it. Also if you are running directional tires you do definitely want to cross them over.
As far as having mixed tires, that isn't an ideal situation and not something suggested to do.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=136
http://www.weareaccurateautomotive.com/blog-0/bid/128677/Tires-for-All-Wheel-drive-vehicle-Beware

Peter

I'd like to eventually end up with all four wheels shod with Michelins (the back wheels have Michelin Latitude Tour HP P245/60R18). However, I'd like to incrementally go to a slightly larger size tire all around. Truckers, off roaders, etc. often have larger rear tires than in front. I am interested in the viability of moving the Michelin P245/60R18 wheels to the front and putting the same type Michelins but in P255/60R18 in back. Feasible or no?

I'd like to eventually end up with all four wheels shod with Michelins (the back wheels have Michelin Latitude Tour HP P245/60R18). However, I'd like to incrementally go to a slightly larger size tire all around. Truckers, off roaders, etc. often have larger rear tires than in front. I am interested in the viability of moving the Michelin P245/60R18 wheels to the front and putting the same type Michelins but in P255/60R18 in back. Feasible or no?
You'd be running a diameter difference of 1.6%, or .47" between the front and rear. Not sure what the tolerance of the AWD system would be in that case but it wouldn't be ideal. https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=245-60r18-255-60r18

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wouldn't think a 10mm difference in width, and the very slight increase in diameter would do much, for you, functionally.

Back