Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Time for tires

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by gsueagle2424, July 17, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

?

Which to choose?

Poll closed November 15, 2017.
  1. EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

25.0%
  2. PREMIER LTX

50.0%
  3. SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS

25.0%
  1. Michael Lopour

Michael Lopour Active Member

City, State:
    Scottsdale AZ
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2019 Explorer Platinum
    I think it's wise to think of tire life more like a new car warranty - there's not just a mileage limit, there's an expiration date. The compounds break down over time, after 5-6 years you might be ok and you might not. If you don't drive a lot of miles every year it's really not worth paying extra for a tire that claims a long tread warranty.
    How Old - and Dangerous - Are Your Tires? | Edmunds

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    That may apply to my Winter Bridgestones. Bought them in Oct. 2014 and they have been used on my 2014 MK and my current 2017. They have accumulated 10,613 km or 6600 miles and will be going on again at the end of Oct. Never wear out the OEM tires during my leases.:)

Peter

4. LedZeppelin

LedZeppelin New Member

City, State:
    South Windsor, Connecticut
    2013 Ford Explorer XLT
    I'd like some input from anyone in the northeast that may possibly have a FWD Explorer (mine's a 2013 XLT). I need tires, and was looking at the BFG Advantage T/A Sport from reading the thread here, but most if not all are 4WD Explorers. This is my only vehicle right now and need an aggressive tire (snow tires are not an option unfortunately, don't have any where to store them).
    I was also considering Mastercraft Courser. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

5. ptjones

ptjones New Member

City, State:
    Newnan, GA
    2013 Explorer Limited
    Have 2013 Explorer Limited with 2L ECOBoost and got best MPG's with OEM tires and they worked fine. Put Ecopia BridgeStones on thinking they would improve MPG's, they didn't and cost more.

Paul

6. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    My dealer stores my Winter and OEM tires for $40. Many dealers here will store them. Since the front and rear tires should be the same, I don't think it matters which tires you get. Remember, the 5th gen Explorer is front wheel drive biased. The tire you mentioned seems to have a very good overall rating.

Peter

7. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    The member is looking for a more aggressive tire for Winter driving. The OEM, unfortunately, is not that tire.

Peter

8. goochman

goochman Member

2014 Explorer Limited
    Just got 60K out of BRIDGESTONE DUELER H/L ALENZA PLUS XL (sorry for all caps, copied from my Tire Rack order).

I just ordered another set in advance of Winter. I have a 4WD Explorer but these tires have worked great for us regardless of weather conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  9. KayGee

KayGee Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Farmington, MI
    '16 & '17 PIU
    You may want to explore an "all weather" tire as they are a combination all season/winter tire suitable for year round use. No need to have multiple sets of tires for summer and winter use. Many perform as well as, or even better than, some dedicated snow tires.