1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Time for tires

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by gsueagle2424, July 17, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

?

Which to choose?

Poll closed November 15, 2017.
  1. EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

25.0%
  2. PREMIER LTX

50.0%
  3. SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS

25.0%
  1. jrgoffin

jrgoffin Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '14 Explorer Sport 401A
    It's too bad the Goodyear Assurance Triple-Tred (http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/assurance-triple-tred) is not made in the 255/50-20 size - it is one of the best tires I've ever driven on. Had them on my former Lincoln Aviator and can't say enough good things about them. Even in relatively deep snow, those tires were amazing. I inquired with Goodyear and unfortunately, they have no plans to expand their size range. They are so good of a tire that I would consider pulling the 20's off my Sport and going to a new wheel if the Hankook's are a disappointment. Keeping my fingers crossed.

On the other hand, the Firestone Destination ST is getting some great reviews and may be one to consider: http://www.firestonetire.com/tires/destination/destination-st

The treads on many of the other tires out there don't look like they offer much of an advantage over the H426 (other than the Parada's), so it will be interesting to hear more as guys swap them out.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. mayher

mayher Member

City, State:
    Chicago, IL
    2012 Explorer LTD
    Bridgestone Alanza Plus - so far so good

Think you are going the like the Bridgestones. I replaced the Optimos about 2 months ago after about 52,000 miles. Have put about 5,000 miles on the Bridgestones since then and so far they are great. Bridgestones have far better wet traction, and ride smoother/quieter that the Optimos. Pretty sure they will be better in the snow, but fortunately it hasn's snowed in Chgo yet.

4. 3rdy

3rdy Member

2012 XLT base V6
    Time for new tires

This my first post, and I’m glad that I found this forum…

I just purchased a 2012 explorer XLT , it has 40k km and I just had the 40k service maintenance, technician recommend to change all the OEM tire (Michelin 245/60R18) as they all have multiple small cracks on the sidewall.

What brand do you recommend for replacement beside Michelin.

thank you :salute:

5. 3rdy

3rdy Member

2012 XLT base V6
    anyone have a good experience with Kumho

6. Halwg

Halwg Active Member

City, State:
    WV
    2018 Explorer Base 2.3L E
    It it was me, and I was just buying an all season tire, and not something specifically for winter, I would buy the Michelin LTX MS. For winter I would probably buy the Bridgestone Blizzak.

But asking people about what tires to buy is like asking who you should marry. You'll get dozens of different opinions and none of them may be right for your particular style of driving and where you drive.

7. 3rdy

3rdy Member

2012 XLT base V6
    :scratch: :D yes i'm planning to buy all season tire, here where i work doesn't snow, its dust and humid...
    the reason i asked for opinion is that i do not have budget at the moment for set of Michelin tires, there are quite expensive in here, they cost around 1100dhs (300$ each) the most cheaper is the Kumho($130), next is Pirelli ($170) thanks

8. Flash

Flash Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Brisbane Australia
    1997 Limited
    Yep, Khumo is good and good value too.
    Pirellis are pretty good too.

9. 182RG

182RG Active Member

City, State:
    Winchester, VA
    '11 XLT / '13 Touareg TDI
    Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L

Michelin Lattitude HP (still have factory set at 50,000 - should make 60,000)

Avoid Pirelli - I have the Scorpion Verdes on a Touareg and they are LOUD, have really poor wet weather traction, and do not wear well (short tread, prone to feathering)

10. lexrid

lexrid Active Member

City, State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    2011 Limited
  11. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum 3rdy.:wavey:
    As mentioned in my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one also identified in the post above.
    I was very happy with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X that I replaced my OEM tires with on my previous Explorer.

Peter

12. 3rdy

3rdy Member

2012 XLT base V6
    noted, thanks Peter.

i will search the price and availability of Yokohama Parada.
    however another question, is it ok to replace only two out of four tires?

13. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Replacing only 2 of 4 tires is not usually recommended but I think that there are also certain factors that have to be taken into consideration when thinking about that. How much wear is there on the two tires being kept? Is the vehicle FWD or AWD? Type of tread and tire size. I'm not an expert on this by any means and I only mentioned what came to mind. I recommend doing some research on it first. I did a 'Google' search using the phrase "can I replace only 2 of 4 tires" and received many 'hits'.

Peter

14. amd2800barton

amd2800barton Active Member

2014 Explorer Sport
    I would also recommend replacing all four tires at the same time. If certain tires are showing heavy wear, you may have an alignment problem, or need to rotate tires more often. If for some reason you absolutely can not replace all four tires, and are only able to get two tires - PUT THEM ON THE REAR. New pairs of tires should always go on the rear, regardless of where the drive wheels are.

15. 3rdy

3rdy Member

2012 XLT base V6
    i finally decided to replace all 4 tires instead of 2 and go for OEM tires.
    have found a good discount for michelin tires, so i've grab them.
    premium tires for my beloved car, safety for family, good investment :)

thanks for all the advise.

cheers

16. pingbling23

pingbling23 Active Member

2012 Explorer Limited 4x4
    We have the new verde plus and it's an excellent tire, much better then the stockers.

17. 182RG

182RG Active Member

City, State:
    Winchester, VA
    Hopefully you like loud music. At 20K, you'll find yourself turning the volume up. Worst tires on an SUV that I've owned, even with 5K rotations, and perfect 4 wheel alignment.

18. PooPooSandwich

PooPooSandwich New Member

City, State:
    Los Angeles, cA
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT
    Whoa, I'm at 50,000 miles on my 2011 and the tires still have a lot of life to them. I just took it over from my parents about 3 months ago and haven driven about 15,000 miles on them. I've traveled twice to Vegas and about 3 times to NorCal through HWY 1, 101, and 5 so the Explorer had been through a good amount of different roads. I feel these tires could last another 20,000 miles. I will try and take pictures of the tires late to show you.

19. 182RG

182RG Active Member

City, State:
    Winchester, VA
    18" Michelin Lattitude HPs on an XLT? If so, same here. At 50K, still good tread left and incredibly smooth and quiet. I'll get the exact same tire as the replacement.

20. KevinJace

KevinJace New Member

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    2015 Ford Explorer Sport
    Hi, all.

After reading all of your posts with great interest, I have a quick question.

I'm currently waiting on a 2015 Sport factory order. I presume it will be delivered with the Hankook tires, as all of the Sports at my dealership seemed to have them. Are they good tires to keep on the car, especially with winter coming up? I'm in NYC so winter tires aren't really a must. I'm just wondering whether it would be a smart move to maybe fit out my new Explorer with Michelin's, and keep the Hankooks as a stand-by set.

We rented a 2014 Explorer Limited in Las Vegas last year and it had the Hankooks. Overall they seemed to perform great, no road noise, great handling and surprisingly good under heavy braking.

Thanks!

21. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum KevinJace.:wavey:
    When I leased my 2011 Limited in March 2011, the first thing I did was trade in the Hankooks on a set of Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires. This was done mainly because of the reviews on Hankook tires for poor Winter performance. Granted the reviews did not pertain to the specific tires that were on the vehicle but I wanted something with a more aggressive tread since we can still get some good snowfalls in March. I have the same tires now on my MKT and am quite happy with them. I'm a person that uses dedicated Winter tires so the Hankooks won't see any Winter driving. There are members who are very happy with them and others who are not. Sorry if this wasn't particularily helpful.

You may also want to check out;
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305892&highlight=hankook

Peter

Last edited: October 17, 2014