Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

time to lift

Discussion in 'Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits' started by Limited96, October 6, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Limited96

Limited96 Active Member

City, State:
      Grand Rapids, MI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      96 Limited
      ok, well i finally saved up 1500 dollars for the superlift kit.. its got the largest amount of lift for the money. so, is it a good kit? or should i wait to get a lift from rcd when their ranger kit comes out? also.. will ALL ranger lifts in the 98+ years work on my 96 limited?

another question.. when i want to go to bigger tires, i want to go BIG.. probably 35 or 38.. something BIG.. i heard something about changing the gearing.. what do i have to worry about.. if its rubbing.. i dont care.. thats what saw-zaws are for. or i can order some perrys fenders...

am i going in the right direction? i mostly want to climb.. i love that.. man im hooked, so i want to make a climbing beast.. some rocks, but mostly big hills..

i also only have a 4.0. is that going to be a problem? i know its not the super beast 302 that the big kids have, but noone wants to trade my limited for their 96 or so xlt with a v8... and i cant really see doing a swap.... so yeah..

and final question.. if i want to go solid axle later on, am i going to still be able to use this new suspension stuff im buying? or am i better to just keep saving and go straight to the sas? its a daily driver, and i live in the city 9 months of my life, but the other 3 are spent in the woods raising hell with my friends..

wow.. more than i thought.. thanks for any sort of help you guys can offer..

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Ryan1

Ryan1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      White Bear Lake, MN
      94 XLT
      I can save you about 700 bux and get you a use 4 inc Trailmaster lift for your xploder all in great condition... you would need to buy shocks and do a rear spring over.

You could use that extra 700 for tires.

Ryan

4. Limited96

Limited96 Active Member

City, State:
      Grand Rapids, MI
      96 Limited
      whats a rear spring over? is it a good thing or a bad one?

oh another question.. how would i fix my computer to not read that i have air ride disabled.. haha.. every time i turn it on it says air ride disabled.. because i shut it off. with the new suspension i wanna keep that computer but rid myself of that stupid message.

5. Ryan1

Ryan1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      White Bear Lake, MN
      94 XLT
      A spring over is where you take the leafsprings in the rear and you put them on top of the axel as apposed to under the axel. That nets you about 6 inchs of lift for the rear and the only cost to you would be spring perches I got my sping perches for 8 dollars a peice.

On the super lift kit i think they want you to run an add-a-leaf and shackles. Add-a-leafs make the ride more harsh.

So you do the Spring over in th rear and retain your same ride.

As for the air ride. Im not all that familiar with that.

6. CoryL

CoryL Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, KY
      94 Eddie Bauer
      Never get any larger than 35s on there and not break something just driving down the road. Hell, with 35s you are going to have to trim too.

You can get 4.56s and 4.88s for your diffs. I'd go 4.88s with 35s for the extra umph, but thats just me. Might as well get a locker for the rear while you are at it.

Depends. Sounds like you want a kick ass wheeling rig. Your 96 is a capable rig with the SLA front suspension, but I would personally look for an older Ranger or Explorer Sport with the TTB front suspension to build up.

The lower your CoM for hills, the better.

4.0L is more than enough for 35s with 4.88s.

New suspension will become obsolete if you do a solid axle swap.

It sounds like you really want a SAS, so I would skip the SLA lift and save up.

Personally I wouldn't modify the vehicle you have now. I'd look for something with a 4.0L 90-97 Ranger regular cab/shortbed or a 91-94 Explorer Sport to modify.

Then if you break you don't have to worry about not getting to work or school or whatever.

Also, it will be cheaper to perform a SAS on a vehicle that came with a TTB.

Either way, when it comes time to do the SAS on the 96 if you go that route, let me know as I am interested in doing one (I started my own fab. shop) and you aren't all that far away.

7. Limited96

Limited96 Active Member

City, State:
      Grand Rapids, MI
      96 Limited
      well see.. i got this truck for 700 bucks. how can you go wrong? i mean, it has its share of problems.. but its bad ass.. i dont really have much to spring on another vehicle.. but i have enough to keep building this one.. till i buy a little car to drive when im not out ass kicking..

id love to do the sas.. and i would love to work with ya.. if you have ideas and such.. i might find the money to do it soon.. well.. within 2 or 3 months..

8. Ryan1

Ryan1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      White Bear Lake, MN
      94 XLT
      Do you think that you are interested in that trailmaster lift

Ryan

9. Limited96

Limited96 Active Member

City, State:
      Grand Rapids, MI
      96 Limited
      maybe.. i wanna figure out the cost of this solid axle swap.. if its only about 2500 or so i can do it in the next few months.. so then i wouldnt be.. if its like 5 or so hell yeah im interested.

10. jshexplo96

jshexplo96 Active Member

City, State:
      Charleston, SC
      95 EB 4x4
      Ryan, is that your lift your selling? Im very interested...I have been waiting for Gage to decide if he is going to sell his but Im getting ancy..!!! How much do you want for it? How old is it? Are you keeping the rear springs?
      joshua

11. Ryan1

Ryan1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      White Bear Lake, MN
      94 XLT
      no this is actually guages......And Dont qoute me on this but since you are on the board he will probably give it to you for 800 bux
      Ryan

Last edited: October 7, 2002
    12. CoryL

CoryL Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, KY
      94 Eddie Bauer
      Check your PMs Limited96.

13. jshexplo96

jshexplo96 Active Member

City, State:
      Charleston, SC
      95 EB 4x4
      Yea, I offered him $500 already...if he can get 975 then i would go for it b/c I dont think just the front trailmaster lift would go for any higher than that...especially here on the board where he has stated all the problems he has had with it. $800 + $300 for rear springs =$1100
      That seems too much for a lift that is a little less than perfect...but if he doesnt sell to someone and wants to get rid of it quick...I might be able to go a little higher...Hopefully he reads this thread.

14. Ryan1

Ryan1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      White Bear Lake, MN
      94 XLT
      500 is too damn cheap for that front lift as for the rear you dont need to buy any springs. Just spend 30 bux and do a spring over.

if I had a newer model I would be all over that lift, seeing as a new one cost around 1500.

Ryan