• Register Today It's free!

Time to say good-bye!

vandy96

Reaction score
City, State
Mclean, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer 4WD
So, after 18 years of faithful service, it is time to say good-bye to my first brand-new car - my 1999 EB Explorer! I still remember the day we picked her up from Jordan Ford in San Antonio, fresh off the vehicle transport from the factory as she was a special order. She has performed admirably over the 146K miles that we have driven together. We have crisscrossed the nation together during my years in the Air Force, and she stood by faithfully awaiting my return from 2 deployments. Hopefully I will be able to find a good home for her that will appreciate her for the quality vehicle she is and for the many good years I'm certain are still in her future.

I know that she is probably more valuable for her parts that she is whole, but I'm hoping she remains in tact!

View media item 1265View media item 1264View media item 1269View media item 1267

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice looking explorer. How much you looking to sell it for?

Very nice looking explorer. How much you looking to sell it for?
Thanks, Josh! I've enjoyed taking care of her over the years. Just finished a comprehensive detail to prepare her for her new home.
- 2 Bucket wash
- Clay Bar
- Compound polish
- Wax
- Seal

Based on comparable EB Explorers in the area and a KBB estimate, I believe $3,750 is a pretty far price. We shall see if I get any interest.

Cheers!

That explorer is just getting broken in. When I buy them they generally have between 175-300k on them and have never paid more than 750. For one. They truly are one of the last bullet proof vehicles out there that even my wife can't kill on a regular basis. I got two right now. My wife has one and my son the other. Sad to say but within a year of getting whatever new vehicle you get I bet you end up missing this one. Be certain you want to let her go before you end up with a headache of a new vehicle worth a car payment to match. Better to deal with the bugs and little things wrong in a vehicle you know. Just saying. I just have a soft spot for this gen explorer and ranger.

That explorer is just getting broken in. When I buy them they generally have between 175-300k on them and have never paid more than 750. For one. They truly are one of the last bullet proof vehicles out there that even my wife can't kill on a regular basis. I got two right now. My wife has one and my son the other. Sad to say but within a year of getting whatever new vehicle you get I bet you end up missing this one. Be certain you want to let her go before you end up with a headache of a new vehicle worth a car payment to match. Better to deal with the bugs and little things wrong in a vehicle you know. Just saying. I just have a soft spot for this gen explorer and ranger.

I know...I have toiled over this decision for quite some time. However, I just "came into" an extremely low mileage 2008 RX350 from a family member and cannot justify keeping both vehicles. The RX350 is extremely reliable, easy to work on and gets about 50% better gas mileage than my EB. If I had the garage/driveway space, I would love to keep her around for many more years to come. But unfortunately, not an option...

Thanks, Josh! I've enjoyed taking care of her over the years. Just finished a comprehensive detail to prepare her for her new home.
- 2 Bucket wash
- Clay Bar
- Compound polish
- Wax
- Seal

Based on comparable EB Explorers in the area and a KBB estimate, I believe $3,750 is a pretty far price. We shall see if I get any interest.

Cheers!

Prices vary by location, but $3,750 sounds very high for a '99 Exp in my area. Even a very nice one with relatively low miles. Nice ones used to pop up on CL pretty often 5 years ago, but I never see them any more.

My '01 5.0 EB is in near new condition, currently with about 190k on it. I paid $4150 for it in 2012. That price was high at the time, but it was in such nice condition I had to have it. If I were to sell it now I doubt I could get more than $2700/$2800 for it tops. I recently sold a decent, very well optioned 2000 XLT 5.0, with 216k on the clock, for $1,700. It sold very quickly to someone who lived over 400 miles away from me. I think I priced it a little low, but based on what I'd paid for it 2-3 years earlier (and what minor repairs it needed) I felt $1,700 was fair.

Hope you get a good price for her. It looks like a nice truck.

Edit: Looking through my local CL ads, average asking price for a Gen II Expl is right around $2.000.

Is it OHV, SOHC, or V8?

It appears to be a V6. Not a plus, especially if it's a SOHC.

Are you saying that, because it's not an AWD (all of which, were V8's, I believe)? Or because it doesn't have the AWD badges?

I'm curious because my 2nd Gen-fu is a little weak. :)

I guess the odds of that truck having undergone a 4WD t-case swap are low.

Are you saying that, because it's not an AWD (all of which, were V8's, I believe)? Or because it doesn't have the AWD badges?

I'm curious because my 2nd Gen-fu is a little weak. :)

I guess the odds of that truck having undergone a 4WD t-case swap are low.

The vehicle does not have the V8 badges on the front fenders and the owner shows it as a 1999 Eddie Bauer 4WD, so I'm pretty sure its a V6. I'm not aware that any year had "AWD" badges, but my AWD was a 2000. All the V8's were either 2WD or AWD.

Yes, it is a very clean looking example. I wonder if the inside looks as fresh as the outside?

wow, nice truck @vandy96. more pics and deets!

Sorry to hear that you will be selling your Explorer. You've been here on the forum almost as long as you've had it :chug:

Most of all, thank you for your service to our country. Best wishes going forward.

Back