Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Timing chain replacement cost

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by TourGuide, June 21, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. TourGuide

TourGuide Active Member

City, State:
      West Michigan
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      07 Limited
      Hey All,

I called my local dealer to see about replacing the timing chains and tensioners for my 07 with the 4.0. They gave me a price that was around $1600. Does that sound right? I plan to shop it around, but I thought I'd ask here to see what people thought.

-TG

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      pulling the engine

According to other posts on the forum that seems low for a Ford dealer. The engine must be pulled and reinstalled, the front accessories and timing cover must be removed and reinstalled. The OEM parts for a complete kit left and right cassette, left and right hydraulic tensioners, primary chain, guide, tensioner and sprockets, jackshaft rear bolt and cover, balancer bolt, gaskets, oil, filter and coolant will be more than $400. I would get a firm quote before authorizing repair.

4. PEAR0119

PEAR0119 Active Member

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario
      2006 Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4
      Mine is in at the dealer now getting a diagnosis on the noises from the engine that I have been having. I am certain that it is timing chains. If it is, it will be covered under my warranty but I will let you know how much it would of been without the warranty once I get the truck back.