Timing chain tensioner leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Salty Dalt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
I replaced the left head timing chain tensioner on my Sport Trac, but I didn't realize that it was not threading into the head straight. I removed it and put it in straight with a new washer, and tightened it to the correct torque, my torque wrench could easily be out of calibration, because when I started the truck, it was dripping a lot of oil from the tensioner. Any ideas? I plan on tightening it down more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good plan. Make sure the washer is lined up.

Good luck.

Good plan. Make sure the washer is lined up.

Good luck.
I removed the timing chain tensioner from the left side head, and made sure the washer was lined up straight, and screwed it back into the left side head. I put a little extra torque on it this time because I didn't want to have to tighten it again. I started the engine and no leaks from the tensioner! Thank you!

Also, I believe I should replace that tensioner that is in the engine, with a Ford brand tensioner, this one was an aftermarket tensioner and it only works sometimes.

Nice work!
I had one on the drivers side head that took me 3 attempts to get to seal
I ended up sanding down a small burr on the head before it would seal
Oil was pouring out....had to pull that thermostat housing 3 times!!
Only use Ford tensioners that is the truth!

Nice work!
I had one on the drivers side head that took me 3 attempts to get to seal
I ended up sanding down a small burr on the head before it would seal
Oil was pouring out....had to pull that thermostat housing 3 times!!
Only use Ford tensioners that is the truth!
What did you use to sand that sealing surface, and how did you do it? Thank you!

a flat file very small made for jewlers followed by scotch brite and carb cleaner
Then I used a tiny amount of aerobic sealer on both sides of the little washer like a sandwich. I was NOT going to remove that thermosat housing again!!
The 04+ design is much better, easier to replace the tensioner

FYI Our Polaris Rzr xp1000 uses the same Ford part to tension the overhead cam chain....since brand new they would tick at start up. So I replaced the tensioner in the rzr with a manual one from Sparks racing.
If I owned a SOHC engine I would install two of these bad boys and forget about waiting for hydraulic pressure to tension the chains....

I see them on Ebay for $65 each these days

Back