Timing Chain Tensioner - OOM12

victorysail

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XL SOHC 4X4
I got my Timing Chain Tensioner and the Lower Intake
Manifold O-ring fixed today. The rattling sound in my SOHC was sort of intermittent, not loud, once in a while. I have only 70,000Km (42,000ml) on my truck, but I have read enough horror stories about the breakdown of the timing chain on the SOHC in this forum. Just for my peace of mind, I made my Ford dealer perform the repair (OOM12) To get this done:
1. Tell the dealer that this is intermittant, so there is no way to proof it even if the engine runs smooth and quiet when you bring it in
2. Complain loudly about it
3. Have a good, friendly relation with your service rep.
Good luck to all who want to get this done

The JokeMaster

I had mine done too. They did the front one and the O rings for free. When I got it back, there was still noise.
The rear one had to be done too, but Ford would not cover this. They only cover the front. The engine had to come out. $1500.

My truck is a 97 with 34,000 miles.

I should have bought a 5.0

Originally posted by gg97
The rear one had to be done too, but Ford would not cover this. They only cover the front. The engine had to come out. $1500.

My truck is a 97 with 34,000 miles.

I should have bought a 5.0

With so few miles, you should have *****ed to get them to at least cover part of the cost. You can still try via Ford Customer Service. Can't hurt to try.

By the way, who did the work? Mark Ford? If so, how are they????

Yeah, it was Mark Ford. They were good, but slow.

Back