Reaction score
City, State
Smithtown NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer XLT
2003 Explorer
4.0 V6
95,000 Miles.

Ok so I was wondering if someone would be able to help me out with this. I know my tensioners are on there way out and I want to replace them. So far I have heard there is only two. Is this correct? From what I have looked at so far, I see it is very easy to access the tension on the passenger side of the motor through the wheel well. I was looking at this one today and should not be hard to get to. Now I was wondering where the other one was located. I do get the annoying startup rattle only for a second when it is very cold outside and the truck has sat, usually overnight. Is it possible to just by the tensioners them selves? If so, does anyone have the part numbers and where I can order the. Me and my dad are somewhat mechanically inclined are may takle the job depending on what needs to be done.

Thank You,
Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have a similar issue. Did anyone reply to this at all

i believe teh tensioner for the drivers side in towards thr front of the engine hidded behind the Power Steering pump or reservior. IT should be in the exact same sopt on either head just rotated because the heard are turned opposite from each other.

Tensioners

Thanks for the info. Has anyone actually changed the front and rear tensioners on the 2002-2005 engines and had success illiminating chain rattle at start up?

Not sure. It is worth a shot. It has to be cheaper to try and replace the tensioners themselves that all the chains and guides.

First what type of oil and filter are you using?

Second, the engine has to be removed to change the rear cassette and chain.

I had the rattle and just had the front done. Too much labor to do the rear. Just replacing the front stopped the rattle.

Back