• Register Today It's free!

Timing Tensioner Issues

99EURO

Reaction score
City, State
K-Town Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 High Class
I have searched the threads on this forum and have gotten some helpful info on the problem with the timing tensioners on the 4.0 SOHC engine. I am a vehicle inspector for the U.S. Army working in Germany and have a 99 Ford Explorer High Class (European Spec but built in the USA). I was on my way to work today and the check engine light came on. This concerned me a little being that the vehicle was running fine. I took it to the dealer and they told me that its a vacum leak at the left side of the manifold. Thats no big deal and will be fixed next week along with a rattling heat shield on the cat. The problem is they also told me that the timing tensioners are faulty and too fix them they will have to pull the engine to do the ones on the rear. The price will be around 2200 euro. At today euro rate, that is around 2900 dollars. There are certain vin #s that this is covered under a re-call but not on mine. If this is such a common problem from faulty parts on Fords behalf, why should I foot the bill. Is there anyone out there that has more info on this situation? That is alot of money for a problem Ford should be fixing. The vehicle only has 77,116 Kilometers.

Same job, alot less money for me....

InvoicePG1.jpg

Ask to talk to the service manager or equiv at the dealer.

Front and back timing chain tensioners were replaced on my Explorer half a year ago. They charged me 530 Euro for this. After paying the bill, I searched the internet, and found out that a leaking manifold is a common Explorer problem, and that Ford advises, while fixing this leak, to also replace the timing chain tensioners because to replace them you only need to take off the intake manifold. And while fixing a manifold leak, you may as well replace the timing chain tensioners. So charging you 2200 Euro for this is a crime.

Very rarely are the rear tensioners replaced. That's where they are screwing you. Front tensioners and o-rings they don't have to pull the engine.

Back