Tim's '93 Sport | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tim's '93 Sport

1993 Ford Explorer Sport

Drivetrain

VW 1.9l BEW TDI, stage 4 Malone tune, Garret VNT17 Turbo
TD Conversions trans adapter
M5OD from 1998 Explorer (Replaced original A4LD)
Stock Borg Warner 1354E

Front Suspension
Dana 35 TTB 3.73
Warn 37780 Dana 35 hubs
James Duff 3” long arm lift
Progressive coils
Dual shocks
BrianBuilt Fab diff guard
James Duff steering stabilizer
1993 Chevy K1500 brake lines

Rear Suspension
Ford 8.8 3.73 limited slip
Alcan Spring 3” lift leaf springs
1970’s Jeep J10 brake line

Wheel and Tires
Cragar Soft 8 16x7, 4in backspace with second gen center caps
285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs

Interior
3D printed ash tray switch panel
Autometer A-Pillar gauge pod with Autometer boost and EGT gauges
Pioneer headunit
Pioneer 4 way speakers
Pioneer 10in sub hidden in place of factory storage pocket in trunk
Pioneer amp

Exterior
Custom swing out tire carrier using stock rear bumper
Clear cut headlights with better bulbs
BrianBuilt Fab cowl light brackets with KC Rally 400 spots
KC 26 series amber fogs mounted behind front grille
Five foot FireStik for CB
91-92 Sport fender trim
First gen Expedition tow hooks

Other Modifications
1994 Jeep ZJ steering shaft
Custom auxiliary/upfitter circuits
A/C delete

Future Modifications
4.56 gears with lockers
Atlas II
Built in sliders (rocker panels are rusty)
Hidden winch behind factory front bumper
Limit straps and bump stops
Skid plates
1-2 more inches of lift

8DEB1F4F-E48B-4431-8771-8E07A0440820.jpeg

3890FE78-7004-430D-B640-2BF81F81F30C_1_201_a.jpeg

73FC2F84-0789-4FC5-B8EB-24B076436324_1_201_a.jpeg

09E5555E-0A82-41E3-9D42-A921AD7F1998.jpeg

aa1efc78-13a6-4f34-97df-eab4032a2c13_zpselkytlnl.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yah finished everything up yesterday. Finished with an A, 3 B's, and a C.

That's good to hear, that's a pretty nice area. You're lucky! Yankee Hill is supposed to be really good. It's on my list of trails to run.

I should hopefully be able to get some work done on the Ex today. All depends on how long I'm at work.

Congrats on the finals!! Good job!!

Hope you get that ex goin soon, snow is melting. We took a little run up yankee last night, didnt make the top, ran into a muddy slick spot that would've thrown me sideways into some rocks, so called it good. It would be a fun challenge for you, but fair warning, you will hear some clunks underneath, I used everybit of my clearance in a couple spots, but had fun. Ran in 2wd through most of it.

Thanks!

Yah, i've taken it on some trails already that have caused some clunking underneath. But it was mainly just the gas tank skid.

Glad to report the Ex is now running way cooler than it was before. New fan clutch seems to be a little more heavy duty and is engaging fully now. Thermostat seems to be opening at the proper point now as well.

Confidence in the Ex has been restored!

Small update.

Wanted to keep a flashlight in the Ex and wanted it to be within reach of the driver seat. I had seen someone on here mount one in front of the driver seat using the bolts that secure the seat. I liked the idea, but didn't like the fact that something could come loose in the driver's foot well. So, I used the same idea but mounted it in front of the passenger seat.

52459849-9303-498d-a5ce-4d5ec0255b39_zps6dyrbgde.jpg

02239eda-c055-4723-8eab-1338dd870bb8_zpsal1i66rz.jpg

fbc98825-2022-48cd-9be8-4bd547cd11f4_zps9b9ssnwa.jpg

If I can find a good deal, I'm going to mount a shovel and axe in the trunk area.

Today I got to go up Gold Camp road and do some wheeling. We went up Mount Baldy a few miles to do some shooting. Wanted to do the rest of the trail but a storm was moving in so figured it was safer to head home.

The good news is that the Ex did not have any overheating issue going up Old Stage and Gold Camp today. So I can say for sure now that the Ex is fixed.

8414610e-b3b2-4c6e-b28f-2c8e1b784e46_zpsvukmkcai.jpg

ba1ffe62-c02f-460a-9aef-3ede74ff4b51_zpsa3befdbd.jpg

8390ddb5-8ccd-437b-b19f-d9e097153111_zpsmgdpg7pl.jpg

My trip to the Alpine Loop is about 3 weeks away. The Ex is ready for that trip and so am I.

:burnout: Hell ya!! Glad to hear ya licked that overheating crap!! You're gonna have to come do Yankee Hill with us. We've been on it pretty much everyday. Still haven't made it to the top yet due to snow still, but should be getting close to melted enough to make it. Was going to go up and check it out tonight, but the others going don't want to deal with the mildly technical stuff to get to that point. I'll make it up there to check it out one of these days.

Yah at some point I'd like to come run it. Though it might not be until late June/July time frame that I can make it up there. We'll have to plan something. My buddy might come with his Jimmy too if I come up to run it.

Looking like we might be running Illinois Gulch next weekend as a shakedown run before the Alpine Loop. Nothing definite yet, but if you're interested I can let you know details if/when we get it figured out.

You may not believe this, but we're heading down to the Springs later today to take care of some business, then meeting up with someone we know down there for a possible evening run, and we may still be around Saturday. Let me know what your plans are though and we'll see what we can do.

I don't know what it is, but my schedule always seems to change at the last minute. So looks like I won't be able to run anything tomorrow. My lady friend finally has a day off from work tomorrow, and since I've hardly seen her for a month I'd rather spend some time with her.

We'll run something soon, I hope.

Another small update. I wanted to keep a shovel in the Ex, but did not want it in the way. So I picked up a small shovel and a set of quick fists. Attached the quick fists to the access door with some bolts and big fender washers.

d41c3f1c-b43d-4439-979f-43e83d138857_zpskzwsdskl.jpg

6f652212-9c38-4209-b431-4337438ee3b1_zpsfokj3nps.jpg

bac03d5b-0c75-4bc5-89ca-14576ceccd87_zpscauitidc.jpg

The handle just barely sticks out next to the rear seat.

1a720027-2bcd-4f90-8017-be28bce2f102_zpshzknpoyh.jpg

I'd say this kept the trunk area a lot cleaner rather than just throwing a shovel back there.

c8b1165c-f203-442a-a646-4afa501c4419_zpsfejkkrr4.jpg

Made it back home around 6:30 this evening. The trip was incredible! Great wheeling, great scenery, and great friends. The Ex beat my expectations. Never once did I get stuck or have any major issues with any obstacles. So I'm now even more impressed with how the Ex performs. No major damage either. A couple minor things though. The front axle beam got scraped twice underneath, trans skid scraped once, gas tank skid several scrapes and a small dent, leaf spring hangers got beat up a little, and my muffler has a nice big dent in it. But nothing broken, and everything still works. I did lose a sway bar disconnect on the way home somewhere around Gunnison, I think. I'm not totally sure because I didn't notice it was missing until my post trip checks. But no big deal, I have a bunch of spares on hand.

Pictures should be coming sometime this week. Have to work a lot this week, plus a million other things that I have to do. But regardless there will be pictures!!

Time to lift that baby!! I got about an 1" to 1.5" for about $50 on the 94. Fits 31's no problem and there's been several times I thought I was going to hit and didn't. I'll be watching for those pics. We got out and did a couple trails today and tonight, I'll try and post up a few of those pics.

Back