Tin Roof Rain noise. | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tin Roof Rain noise.

Exactly, no point in letting a dealer mess with it until there is a repair procedure.

I hope Ford is taking this seriously.

I'm not sure a dealer actually can do much until a TSB is issued. Even the A pillar issue didn't match with my build date. Luckily, my dealer rocks and took care of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure a dealer actually can do much until a TSB is issued. Even the A pillar issue didn't match with my build date. Luckily, my dealer rocks and took care of it.

Uniquename - what dealer are you using?

Uniquename - what dealer are you using?

Freeway Ford in Bloomington. My family has bought many new cars there, and they on the whole are great.

I've had a sour apple taste from some other local dealers if you get my pun.

Freeway Ford in Bloomington. My family has bought many new cars there, and they on the whole are great.

I've had a sour apple taste from some other local dealers if you get my pun.

Ok, thanks, maybe I'll give them a shot at some point if my current dealer doesn't do a good job.

My final test with my rain test mod. While on a trip to WV it rained pretty hard (wiper on full speed to be able to see) and at 75 miles an hour the only rain noise I heard was that hitting the windshield.

Now that A pillar noise has started on the right side. This is the first long trip with the X and guess it takes some time for the rubber gasket to loosen up to case that bee buzzing sound.

@Batman89: thanks for your reports and successful fix! Can you specify what foam (brand and specific type) you used? I may have missed it but I didn't see this posted since you announced what you did. There were originally some concerns about the expanding foam from members here.

Thanks again.

@Batman89: thanks for your reports and successful fix! Can you specify what foam (brand and specific type) you used? I may have missed it but I didn't see this posted since you announced what you did. There were originally some concerns about the expanding foam from members here.

Thanks again.

I agree, the results are good. It is essentially a design flaw that some of us have less issue with by having the moonroof.

Steve,

Are you asking because you plan on ripping down your headliner to do the foam and dynomat?

My final test with my rain test mod. While on a trip to WV it rained pretty hard (wiper on full speed to be able to see) and at 75 miles an hour the only rain noise I heard was that hitting the windshield.

Now that A pillar noise has started on the right side. This is the first long trip with the X and guess it takes some time for the rubber gasket to loosen up to case that bee buzzing sound.
Thank you for taking the time to post your results. I would also like to offer my help with the noise concern you mentioned. I already have your Explorer’s VIN from previous messages, so all I would need is your approximate mileage and dealer name. Let me know if that’s something you’d like assistance with.

Cory

Thanks again.

Below is a link to Lowes. It took approximately 1 1/2 cans.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_13617-236-227112_0__?productId=3012216&Ntt=spray+foam&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dspray%2Bfoam&facetInfo=

Thanks, Batman89!

@uniquename: not really planning to do this myself, especially if Ford might be issuing a TSB for it in the future, but I figured it's always good to get documentation about methods early while the original poster is still active and engaged in the topic (and in case Ford decides to ignore the issue). I think this helps build an online community longer term.

For posterity, in case the link goes away, Batman89 was indeed referring to the Dow 12 Oz. Great Stuff Gaps & Cracks Insulating Foam Sealant - in the orange can.

Thanks, Batman89!

@uniquename: not really planning to do this myself, especially if Ford might be issuing a TSB for it in the future, but I figured it's always good to get documentation about methods early while the original poster is still active and engaged in the topic (and in case Ford decides to ignore the issue). I think this helps build an online community longer term.

For posterity, in case the link goes away, Batman89 was indeed referring to the Dow 12 Oz. Great Stuff Gaps & Cracks Insulating Foam Sealant - in the orange can.

Good thinking :) I wouldn't do the fix myself unless ford ignores it, but knowing the process is surely useful.

I would have waited for Ford, but since the headliner had to come down to repair the roof hail damage, I decided to take some of the suggestion from this thread and apply them to my X. Have to admit I had second thought if they would work. Now we know:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I need to thank all those on the thread who brain stormed the possible fix.

Has anyone actually talked with Ford about a rain noise fix?
I am trying to decide when to jump in without becoming a test subject.

The first post on this was Feb 5th. It seems that in 5 months nothing has been said or done about the problem from Ford. I recently bought the Explorer, even after my wife tried to talk me out of it. Yesterday we were driving together when it started raining and had the loud pinging noise of the rain. I was startled then embarrased and pissed as my wife gave me that "I told you so" look! Thanks Ford. A $40,000 vehicle that sounds like s**t when it rains. For those of you who say it isn't bad and people are over reacting, must not have any standards when it comes to the quality of their vehicle!

A $40,000 vehicle that sounds like s**t when it rains. For those of you who say it isn't bad and people are over reacting, must not have any standards when it comes to the quality of their vehicle!
I strongly disagree with your last sentence. Mine was just under $52k (Canadian) and believe that the quality should reflect that cost. I have been through rain, although not lately, and never noticed anything out of the ordinary as far as noise goes. This is comparing it to the last 3 Highlander Limiteds I have driven. Perhaps it depends upon how hard it rains and it might be that I haven't experienced that type of condition yet.

Peterk9: Well thats the thing, you haven't experienced it. I've owned and rode in many different vehicles in my life. I've never heard such a loud "tin roof" sound in a car before. Like people before me have said, it sounds like a tin roof or drum. And its loud. Trust me, if you experienced it, you would be upset also. Trust everyone, its that bad and its really loud!

I heard this sound a week ago after having driven this Explorer since March.
I thought it was cool. It has a Caribbean flavor to it. Or maybe Jimmy Buffet. I'm thinking of parking it under a sycamore tree when it rains and putting together an album. Anyway it's not that big a deal. There are way more important issues in this world if you think about it.

Sorry I like Jimmy Buffet and the Caribbean is nice but I live in America :usa: Yes the tin roof could be nice in certain situations but the problem is you can't turn it off! Forget having a conversation in person or over the phone. This really needs to be fixed. If someone loves the sound of rain hitting tin they can buy a cd. I want the choice. I hope Ford corrects this as well as the A pillar rattle (don't have it yet). Any word from Ford on a TSB?

I was told again the other day by CS that Ford's senior engineers are aware of this noise and are working on a fix. I was speaking with a CS rep about a separate issue and they voluntarily told Mr this. I never brought up that subject on the call.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was told again the other day by CS that Ford's senior engineers are aware of this noise and are working on a fix.

I have to wonder if your user name hints at what has happened...;)

In seriousness, is this really a 5 month fix? Being compltely ignorant of the process, I can tell you what my process would be: Identify problem (already done); Identify possible solutions (very limited choice of low-cost, retrofit options: stuff it with dry foam, spray it with liquid foam, 3M-type film on exterior); implement fixes and test; assess durability (manufacturer data already available and not something requiring extensive testing?). Give me one engineer part-time for a month and I think I could find an acceptable solution....

Back