Tin Roof Rain noise. | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tin Roof Rain noise.

Can we have Cory actually confirm there fixing it on the line and when did they start.
Spengracin,
I looked into this and verified that the 2012MY has the improvements to help quiet exterior noises.

...With Ford monitoring this site, hope they are paying attention to what Explorer owners are reporting and how they are dealing with the issues. This will help the engineers and programmers fix our vehicle, Sync/MFT hardware and software problems.
It’s very important that you’re happy with your purchase, batman89. I already have your information from previous messages, so drop me a line if you’d like further help.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spengracin,
I looked into this and verified that the 2012MY has the improvements to help quiet exterior noises.

Maybe I am not following this thread enough....

If they are fixing the 2012s, are they going to fix the 2011s?

Cory perhaps you can assist on this issue.

AT this moment there is no TSB or SSM on this issue of Rain Noise or insufficient sound deadening on the roof metal between the top of the windshield and the moonroof.

2011 Ex owners cannot simply mention it to the service technicians at their local dealership because without a TSB or SSM the dealers cannot charge back and get paid to fix the issue.

So 2011 owners are caught in the middle.

Ford has realized there is a significant issue and made changes to the 2012MY assembly process by spaying an acoustic foam in that area. But Ford needs to now address those 2011's with the same issue.

Could you please escalate this issue so we have something formal to reference when we go to the dealership.

Cory perhaps you can assist on this issue.

AT this moment there is no TSB or SSM on this issue of Rain Noise or insufficient sound deadening on the roof metal between the top of the windshield and the moonroof.

2011 Ex owners cannot simply mention it to the service technicians at their local dealership because without a TSB or SSM the dealers cannot charge back and get paid to fix the issue.

So 2011 owners are caught in the middle.

Ford has realized there is a significant issue and made changes to the 2012MY assembly process by spaying an acoustic foam in that area. But Ford needs to now address those 2011's with the same issue.

Could you please escalate this issue so we have something formal to reference when we go to the dealership.

I paid almost $50K for my Limited, if Ford wants to play in the luxury vehicle market they need to get there act together and address these issues quickly and appropriately.

For those asking about this issue,
I checked and found that no service messages have been released yet, and I will be keeping my eye out for any available details. The best way I can assist is by escalating each case on an individual basis. So I can do this, be sure to private message me with your contact information, VIN, mileage, and dealer info.

Cory

For those asking about this issue,
I checked and found that no service messages have been released yet, and I will be keeping my eye out for any available details. The best way I can assist is by escalating each case on an individual basis. So I can do this, be sure to private message me with your contact information, VIN, mileage, and dealer info.

Cory

Is this going to do any good? If the dealer doesn't have a fix, I can bring it in, they can look at it and nothing will be fixed. Ford needs a TSB, then I will invest my time and take it in to be fixed.

Is this going to do any good? If the dealer doesn't have a fix, I can bring it in, they can look at it and nothing will be fixed. Ford needs a TSB, then I will invest my time and take it in to be fixed.
BethesdaEC,
Individually escalating cases allows for the scope of an issue to be clearer. I will continue to keep my eyes open for any new news on this.

Cory

It works. On an individual basis, or as a collective as well:

I see it as a bowl of notecards with complaints in a bowl on the manager's desk who may or may not look at it right now. If escalated, someone picks out your card and hands it directly to the manager. If the manager gets enough of them, they're going to say "screw this, we have to do something so we stop getting these blasted notecards..." :)

I sort of wish the 'notecards' went directly to Mullaly's email though, I think it would speed up the process... :D

I stopped by a dealership today and tapped on a 2012 and on mine(2011 March build). Both sounded the same, so if they did anything different it is not obvious from the outside. I just got my A-pillar repaired for the 2nd time. If that holds up for a month or so, I will escalate the rain noise issue. It is certainly annoying.

I don't know if it's me but i have not heard this annoying noise i have had caddilac, other explorer's bmw etc and the noise is all the same. Pillar issues well that should not be happening ,mft issue that also should not have so many but then again it's microsoft !! Apple would have been much better. So i hope that for some this is done for those who have issue but for me must cars sound the same for exccept lexus that one is very quit !

I stopped by a dealership today and tapped on a 2012 and on mine(2011 March build). Both sounded the same, so if they did anything different it is not obvious from the outside. I just got my A-pillar repaired for the 2nd time. If that holds up for a month or so, I will escalate the rain noise issue. It is certainly annoying.
deerfarm,
Please let me know if you choose to do that. I’ll be happy to help.

Cory

Hi Cory,

It's been several months since we were told that engineering was working on a fix for the rain noise. Can you give us an update on the solution for MY 2011? If they have no plans to release anything, please let us know that as well so we can move ahead with other plans such as applying the 3M film to the exterior.

Thanks,
Randy

...Can you give us an update on the solution for MY 2011?...
Randy,
I checked in on what the latest status is and I was advised that an official update hasn’t been published yet, but it is moving along. I’ll continue to check in regularly and pass along any available details.

Cory

Add another 2011 owner to the wait list. I thought it was just my hearing but the rain noise sounds like I'm sitting in a tin can.

Maybe the fix will be in by the time they figure out where the water is leaking into my vehicle. When they take my headliner off to fix the interior water leak, they can add the sound deadening material

Randy,
I checked in on what the latest status is and I was advised that an official update hasn’t been published yet, but it is moving along. I’ll continue to check in regularly and pass along any available details.

Cory

Cory this is not aimed at you, but rather your bosses:

"moving along" = 3rd week of never. :thumbdwn:

Seems Ford has been very slow on releasing any TSB to cover this issue, A pillar, squeaky brakes, MFT let's not even go there. Almost a year later and I feel like we have all been left out in the cold to put up with this stuff. I myself would enjoy my vehicle more if I could get these issues put behind me.

I completely agree. I really love my car despite the squeaky brakes which have returned, the steel drum band during a rain storm and the nice rattle which has developed while on the highway. While for some reason I still love this car, I could never recommend it to someone. The word of mouth referral is where Ford is losing out. Not a smart move.

Really, Ford is losing out. I wonder how many 2011's they sold. I wonder how many of those have no problems at all. Oh I'd say quite a few. I have no sound deadening in my 11 X. I have been in lots of heavy rain while a little loud it's not unbearable. Funny.. word of mouth. LMAO. I feel sorry that you're having difficulty with your X. Hopefully you'll get it fixed. My dealer has fixed everything I have asked them to and now it' the best damn vehicle I have ever owned. I'm a Chev man by the way. Well, used to be.....
We are going to buy a Crew Cab sometime in the spring. Probably be a Silverado maybe a 250. We'll see. Cheers

I came from a Lincoln Town Car to the Explorer LTD and find it as quite as the Car until it rained.

While having some hail damage repaired, went ahead and took the suggestion from others on this thread and put spray foam in the empty cavity above the wind shield. Also used some Dynamat on the roof. Now its like riding in my Town Car.

I know this thread has gotten so long, but you need to read the entire thing to see what has taken place. I give credit and thanks to those who suggested the possible fix and I'm very please with the results.

Love my X even with some of the MFT glitches. So far have been able to fix the glitches from suggestions on this forum. Nothing is perfect and if you look long enough you can find something wrong with any vehicle.

I admire Ford for weathering the economy storm and have not been dependent on bail outs to stay afloat. Hats off :thumbsup: to Alan Mulally and the Ford Team for having a vision to run a successful company. To the Ford Team "Keep up the good work and keep smiling :)".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Maybe the fix will be in by the time they figure out where the water is leaking into my vehicle. When they take my headliner off to fix the interior water leak, they can add the sound deadening material
Ott23,
I can help with your concerns by sending an escalation to the Customer Service Manager in your area. So I can do that, please PM me with your contact information, VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer info. I’m confident they will assist with the issues you’re experiencing.

I completely agree. I really love my car despite the squeaky brakes which have returned, the steel drum band during a rain storm and the nice rattle which has developed while on the highway. While for some reason I still love this car, I could never recommend it to someone. The word of mouth referral is where Ford is losing out. Not a smart move.
dencan,
I’m interested in seeing this resolved for you, so please send me a PM with the details I mentioned above. The Customer Service Manager for your region will be happy to lend a hand.

Thank you for everyone’s patience with the roof matter; I’ve been told something will be released soon. I will be keeping my ears open for any available information on an announcement. I will post as soon as I hear anything.

Cory

Back