Tinting Windows

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
OK, it's still only in the mid 30s here in the Chicago area, but I am starting to think summer already. Since this will be my first vehicle with an all black leather interior, and the truck sits out most all day, I am thinking about having a very light tint applied to the 2 front side windows (legal in Illinois).

I am looking at a 50% tint (pretty light). I want to be as fully "visible" as possible, because I don't like that 'gangsta' look. I just want to cut out a great deal of the UV light (that causes fading) and knock down some of the heat.

I always use a front windshield sun-shade. Very effective.

Any thoughts, advice, pit-falls to avoid? Been quoted $90 for the 2 fronts and about an hour wait time to have the work done. Sounds reasonable to me.

Thanks!

:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im in chicago area too. I have an appointment Tomorrow to get my fronts done, although im just going to try to match the rear as close as possible. Mainly just to stop the blinding lights in the mirrors.

Im in chicago area too. I have an appointment Tomorrow to get my fronts done, although im just going to try to match the rear as close as possible. Mainly just to stop the blinding lights in the mirrors.

Is the $90 quote in line? Seems so. Thanks.

Tinted the 2 sides and windshield strip for 65.00. Went dark as the back windows. Looks great but that dark of tint is not llegal in most states. We live in Fl. and cops don't bother you because they have the same thing. The vehicle looks sharp. I also put a double black stripe down the sides and looks good on the white vehicle.

Yeah, in KY it usually cost me about $95 to do the front 2 windows and a strip across the front windshield.

To match the back it's usually 20% tint range which in KY you don't really get pulled over for that even though 35% is the legal limit here.

awhile ago i got mine done, stripped the factory tint all out and put all new tint in my sport only cost me $180

i would recommend 35% with 50% you wont notice much and it would be a waste. Also $90 seems a bit high. i paid 60 to match the backs (which never match exactly.) and i was out in 25min. when i was pulled over for my tints (in ny) the visibility meter read 12-14 in the front and around 15-17 in the back

Didn't know you could strip factory tint, isn't factory tint a die that is in the glass?

ya you cant ive tried everything, and by stripped i meant i got replacement glass that didnt have the factory crap

Does the factory tint have any UV protection? I was told to have the back windows tinted to protect against it.

Does the factory tint have any UV protection? I was told to have the back windows tinted to protect against it.

The tint shop says that the factory tint does NOT have UV protection. Not sure if this is true.

I wonder if our gigantic duel panel moon roof has UV protection??

The tint shop says that the factory tint does NOT have UV protection. Not sure if this is true.

I wonder if our gigantic duel panel moon roof has UV protection??

That's what my tint shop said too. I didn't even ask about the moon roof. I doubt that isn going to be UV protected if the side glass isn't.

In any event I just ordered mine 2 weeks ago. I've got plenty of time to research. First task upgrade the "premium" stereo system on the XLT. Speakers, amps and subwoofer. But the stereo shop didn't have the 2011 specs. He said he'll research it though. He has cars for NFL players in there, I trust he'll do the homework.

Any word if the "privacy" glass on the new Explorer does have some sort of UV protection? My tint guy also said it did not.

What is the factory tint on the rear / back? I've seen some say 35% and others 20%. Anyone know for sure?

What is the factory tint on the rear / back? I've seen some say 35% and others 20%. Anyone know for sure?

It tested out at my tint shop around 35....I put 35 on top of it in the back 2 windows, and it came out to 8%. I put 50 over the 2 doors and it came to 27% or something like that.

It tested out at my tint shop around 35....I put 35 on top of it in the back 2 windows, and it came out to 8%. I put 50 over the 2 doors and it came to 27% or something like that.

Hey JustB, you do this yourself? If not where did you have it done? Ziebart?

Had it done by Scott at BlackOut Window On Hwy 100 and Morgan in the same bulding as Ultimate Truck. He has a lifetime warranty on all his stuff. I've had 3 or 4 vehicles done by him, my Dad is up to about 10 and my Brothers are both on 2....

His Phone # is (414) 329-4000

About the closest I have seen to the factory tinted glass in 22%. I will say depending on the quality of the tint it will vary some

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Factory tint is usually 35% by federal law that manufacturers have to abide by, then each state has their own limits. In NY no tint is allowed on the front driver/passenger windows. On the rears you can go as dark as you like. I do my fronts with 35% to best match the factory tint & have never been pulled over. Used to have 20%, got pulled over all the time. But factory tint is 35%.

Back