Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Tips on increasing MPG?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by robotnik, May 26, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Tags:
  1. coppe

coppe Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    01 xls v6 SOHC
    i don´t like myself o drive it al low as possible, because of the associated problems to having an almost empty gas tank, (decrease the gas pump life because of overheating, sucking up gunk in the tank, posibly starving the engine in a steep surface, etc. thats why i use the 3/4 tank and average several fill ups aproach.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ponkotsu

ponkotsu Active Member

City, State:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    2005 Lincoln Aviator
    Basically keeping the engine at the optimum operating RPM is a good idea. My Aviator actually gets better mpg at 75-80mph than it does at 60mph. Hard to believe because the wind drag is so much higher, but it's really true. I think road and weather conditions have far more to do with mileage than driving style. I get 23mpg on my drive TO Denver and about 16mpg on the return trip on the same road. It's just a little difference in altitude so can't blame the hills for it.

"Moderate" acceleration is the best bet with these big trucks. Cars like a Toyota Prius will get dramatically better mileage with very light acceleration just because you are running on battery power and not gasoline. I have a habit of automatically passing Prius's whenever I see them, just because I know they are going to get in my way and actually HURT my mpg.

4. D Hook

D Hook Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Omaha, NE
    06 Explorer Limited V-8
    I just had both upstream O2 sensors changed and my mileage has increased. Haven't run a whole tank through yet but I'll post up the results, compared to past mileage.