Tire advice for '92 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire advice for '92 Explorer

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice. I've spent a couple of hours searching this site but I'm a novice 4x4 guy so forgive my ignorance. I have a '92 Explorer (4.0 XLT, 3.73 gears w/ LS, trans cooler, HD cooling, Tokiko shocks, Sus. Tech. Bars) that I'm looking to upgrade for use off road. I'm planning on rebuilding the engine and tranny, upgrading the drivetrain and refreshing the rest of the car (bushings, U-joints, etc…).

I'd like to get some more ground clearance. My thoughts are that I need taller tires and that in order to do so I'll need to lift the truck some. I don't want to put tires on it that'll mandate that I change the gearing and I'd like to keep them narrow both for snow use and because it looks like that'll minimize any requirements to lift the truck. I'm thinking 32" or 33" tires. If I lift the truck I'd like to do so without having alignment problems and without having to throw a bunch of parts at it. From what I've read, it looks like a 2" lift with 32x10.5" tires (or maybe 33" tires) is doable. I'd like to use the stock rims and I don't mind trimming fender bits in order to make it work. Does this make sense or am I thinking too big on the tires?

Any good Explorer oriented aftermarket supply place I should be dealing with?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Peter

Back