Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Tire Bead Leak

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by shucker1, June 14, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Metairie, Louisiana
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    98 XLT 5.0
    Anyone have suggestions on fixing a tire bead leak on an aluminum rim?

Not bad, just a sizzle area about 1" long on the inboard edge of the bead.

The counter clowns at Goodyear are telling me I need a new rim. The guy started going on about stress fractures in the rim until I told him what I know.

Horse Feathers!

Have them pull the tire off and use a scotch-brite pad on the bead area to get the crud off is all I can think of.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Va
    00 4x4 Mounty
    Bead sealer, any tire shop should know about it. Got to hit the bead surface on the rim with a knotted wheel on a grinder to clean up oxidation first.

4. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Metairie, Louisiana
    98 XLT 5.0
  5. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
    You can use plain old sandpaper, providing the tire is either pulled all the way off, or if you just break the bead, gravity causes all sand grit and removed oxidized metal to fall out of rather than into the tire. This is harder to do with a motorized wheel brush that can fling it everywhere.

Sandpaper, scotch brite pad, etc manual methods just take longer. You can get bead sealer from some auto parts stores, Amazon, etc. I'd call ahead at auto parts stores, not all regularly stock it and the price can vary a lot... or just call around for a different shop to do it for you, shouldn't cost much.

• Thanks Thanks x 1