Tire Bead Leak

shucker1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Metairie, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0
Anyone have suggestions on fixing a tire bead leak on an aluminum rim?

Not bad, just a sizzle area about 1" long on the inboard edge of the bead.

The counter clowns at Goodyear are telling me I need a new rim. The guy started going on about stress fractures in the rim until I told him what I know.

Horse Feathers!

Have them pull the tire off and use a scotch-brite pad on the bead area to get the crud off is all I can think of.

Bead sealer, any tire shop should know about it. Got to hit the bead surface on the rim with a knotted wheel on a grinder to clean up oxidation first.

You can use plain old sandpaper, providing the tire is either pulled all the way off, or if you just break the bead, gravity causes all sand grit and removed oxidized metal to fall out of rather than into the tire. This is harder to do with a motorized wheel brush that can fling it everywhere.

Sandpaper, scotch brite pad, etc manual methods just take longer. You can get bead sealer from some auto parts stores, Amazon, etc. I'd call ahead at auto parts stores, not all regularly stock it and the price can vary a lot... or just call around for a different shop to do it for you, shouldn't cost much.

Back