1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

tire reccomendations

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by Four0Sport, December 17, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Four0Sport

Four0Sport Jack Pewe Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      West Virginia
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1993 2dr
      a few days ago we got our first little snow up here in wv, thank god i dont live in the moutains or i would of been posting this a month ago, well i realized my all season tires suck when its icy out. any reccomendations on a good all terrain tire? i was thinkin about the BFG all terrtain t/a ko's but was worried about the tread life since i drive the interstate every day. id like a nice 30x9.50 to put on my stock 93 Sport. any suggestions would be welcomed. thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. MustangShane

MustangShane Active Member

City, State:
      Lake Orion, Mi
      1991 4dr XLT 4x4.
      Trust me go with a 31" tire. BFG's are good. I bought 30's thinking I'd be happy. But they're really nothing more than 235/75's. Dont worry about the expressway stuff you probably wont notice much of a difference.

4. osker75

osker75 Active Member

City, State:
      houston, texas
      99 Jeep Wrangler
      all bfg will last you a longgggggggg time buddy dont worry about it go ahead and get them

5. 93GreenX

93GreenX New Member

City, State:
      Florida
      93 XLT
      I have a 93 with 30x9.5 BFG AT's. I've got about 2k miles on them right now, they ride well on the road and do decent off road. I wish I had the 31's though...I put my spare tire, 235/75, next to the new tires for comparision and there really is not difference. I went with the 30's so not to cause undo stress on my high mileage vehichle.

6. jayhawkexplorer

jayhawkexplorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Mission, Kansas
      '97 XLT
      As long as you keep up with tire rotations and tire pressure, Goodrich A/Ts should last you 50,000 miles or so.

7. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      In my experience, there isn't a lot of difference between all seasons and all terrain tires when it comes to icy roads. There's only so much rubber can do to grip the ice. Not knocking the BFG TA/KO's -- they are good tires, wear well, good traction, etc, I just don't know if they are going to improve things that much. Me, personally, I carry around a set of chains/traction cables to deal with such situations. Alternatively, I think a set of dedicated snow tires (with siping and a rubber compound designed to better grip on ice), possibly studded if it's legal, would be a better way to go.

How old are your tires? From what I've gathered, as tires age, the rubber hardens which is part of why they won't grip ice as well. Sometimes, just getting new tires (where the rubber is fresher and softer) improves performance on ice, just because the rubber is a little softer.

My 2¢ worth.

8. Bwana Bob

Bwana Bob Active Member

City, State:
      Morris Plains, NJ
      92 XLT
      For ice and snow, look for a tire with lots of sipes. The large tread blocks common in all terrain tires that are so good in mud are not all that good on snowy, icy or wet roads. For example, a Michelin rep told me that the LTX M/S tire is actually better on wet/ice/snow than the LTX A/T tread. The sipes help the tire grip the snow. Look for full-depth sipes, too. On some tires the sipes do not go to the full depth of the tread, so that as the tire wears, the sipes disappear and then you have a smooth rubber surface. :roll:

Bob

9. lowflyingbird

lowflyingbird Active Member

City, State:
      NewYork
      98 EX 5.0p
      Mich Ltx M/s

Now that I see here someone paying hommage, Anyone looking, please check on classified section Mich 235 75 15 LTX M/S set w wheels

10. Four0Sport

Four0Sport Jack Pewe Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      West Virginia
      1993 2dr
      thanks you guys for all the feedback.. i just gotta get my stingy self to pay for the new tires, im a tightwad. can i go 31 10.50s w/out having worry about rub? even though it is like driving a boat, i like to have a full turning radius.