Tire size for dd/tow/mild off road 2000 xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire size for dd/tow/mild off road 2000 xlt

Orion13

Reaction score
City, State
Paducah, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
I've read all the forums about how large of a tire to get with each lift. I've searched looking for tire recommendations for daily drivers. That yielded more of a "how many people are running 35" and 33" on their dd's" than anything. Not really what I'm looking for. I personally was thinking 31's or 32's at the largest. I like the look but I have no conception of the ride quality or wear on the ex.

So I know this opinion based but what is your thoughts or ideas on this? I don't plan on rock crawling, or large obstacles. I would just like to be able to drive the back roads of LBL here in western KY without issues. When we go camping there.

Orion13

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run an 8 ply 285/75-16 on my dd/of-road that size comes out as a 33 I love this tire size as it's not a wide tire but tall so I have less rolling resistance and they fit on factory wheels and under the finders.
IMG_0753_zps63035065.jpg

What gears do you have?

At the moment 4.10's I'm going to see how it dose after the 5 speed swap , but it dose good the way it is.

Orion, what size are your current tires, AND what is your gear ratio? Nothing wrong with 31s or 32s for what you want to do, but your gear ratio may determine if that's doable without having to change to a more appropriate gear.

The engine also makes a difference if mine had bin the 4.0 I would have gone with 4.56 gears but the 5.0 dose good with 33's and 4.10's.

Motor is a 4.0L EFI-SOHC, six cylinder according to the VIN I have. I can tell you more about the current tire size after tomorrow. It is sitting at my father-inlaw's garage because it was wrecked when I bought it. I've had to go to the jy and piece it back together. I did buy a new grill for it though. I couldn't find one that wasn't broke. I'll also get the number from inside the door to find the gear ratio. I've seen that link in here too.

Orion13

I run an 8 ply 285/75-16 on my dd/of-road that size comes out as a 33 I love this tire size as it's not a wide tire but tall so I have less rolling resistance and they fit on factory wheels and under the finders.

I really don't think I could fit 33's with only a TT and shackles from what I've read. I would either need a 2" body lift or an entire suspension upgrade. I'm not willing to put that kind of money and time into it until I know for sure that it is a decent driver as is. I'm waiting on the papers to transfer before I move it from its current location so I should know in a few days.

Orion13

Yes 33's will fit with only 2" of lift but it will hit the finders on large bumps, 4" will clear just fine, at least for me it has mine is a 96

My DD is a hair under 6 inches total lift on 33x12.5 bfg mud terrains with both sway bars. Its an awd 4.0 ohv 5spd with i believe 3.55 gears an it gets around good on the asphalt and rides half way decent and also does pretty good in the woods whether its mud, rocks, or climbing over stuff

Hmm my post from yesterday didn't save. The tires that are currently on it are P255/70 R16.

I drove it home yesterday and I took it out to LBL today to just shake some bugs out of the systems. I have several things I need to fix, the most major one right now is that the key will not go back to the point that you can remove it from the cylinder. I have turn the key to the run position and pulled the ignition cylinder out and did a visual inspection of it. The cylinder works fine out of the column but after you put it in you can't get it to go back to release the key. Anyone have any ideas on this?

I did a quick search of the forums and found several that were broke at the end of the cylinder but like I said this one doesn't have any broke pieces on it. You can roll it all the way to start and then back to accessory while it is in your hand. It even allows you to remove the key. I can tell you this much, I don't like the PATS system so far. :/

Orion

Back