Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Tire Size?

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by 99ExplorerXLT, November 30, 2002.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 99ExplorerXLT

99ExplorerXLT New Member

City, State:
    Long Island, New York
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '99 XLT
    I just Bought a '99 Explorer XLT V8 AWD. My old 4x4 was a 1989 full size bronco with 3inch lift and 33inch BFG all terrains. I love my new explorer but the stock tire size is quite wimpy. Without changing the stock rims, which I really do like, or adding a lift kit, does anybody have any suggestions for BIGGER tires and what brand???

Thanks,
    Frank

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 02EB

02EB New Member

City, State:
    Monterey CA
    02 Bauer 4.6 4X
    I am just in the process of trading in my 99, V8/AWD...getting an 02 Bauer, V8/4X of course, and when the scandel broke out on the Firestones I got Michelin LTXs in 30X9.5...boy was that a hassle-I had to take the wheels off the X and throw them in my truck and take them down to the tire shop, they would not install them on the X.
    Anyways, look much better than the stock tires and fit the rims very nicely...not too fat if you know what I mean.
    Performed well in most conditions, they are a bit harder riding then the stock ones. Very little noise to them also.
    And while I am here, still looking for pics of an 02 with 265/75's...Anybody???
    Sorry I don't have a pic of mine, doh!

4. mdrut

mdrut Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Inverness, Fl.
    '91 sport
    you can run a 31x10.5 on the stock wheel..Don't know if you will have clearance issues or not..
    Best thing to do is get a "test" fit.

5. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Red Bluff, Ca
    1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
    Here's a pic of my '96 with 31" BFG ATs. They were awesome tires and I highly recommend them. Anyway, if you do get them and they rub a little, you can always to the TT/Shackle combo for about 1 1/2-2" of lift.

[​IMG]